Jul 30, 2012

Favorite Pot Roast (Dilled Pot Roast)


This is probably one of the earliest recipes I have ever tried and have truly fallen in love with. I have been cooking this for about 7 years now. What attracted me to this recipe was its simplicity. Slow cooked, only a few ingredients, how can I say no? And then we tasted the result, melt-in-your-mouth tender beef paired with a delicious dill-sour cream gravy...wow! So good! I so love this that I have never bothered to look for any other pot roast recipe ever since. I honestly have not prepared roast beef any other way. When you find the best, you stick to it.

When we travel abroad and I get the chance to cook, this is always on our menu. In South Africa, I even bought a slow cooker just so we can have this. We search for the chuck roast in the nearest market (unfortunately, not all countries have this particular cut) find a butcher who can cut us one, cook it, then serve it to our guests. It's always been a winner.



Just try it and you'll see what I mean!



Ingredients

3 - 4 lbs. Beef chuck roast
1-2 teaspoons dried Dill Weed, or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Water
2-3 Tablespoons  rice vinegar (I use 3 tablespoons if am cooking the 4 pounder)
3 Tbsp. Flour (or cornstarch diluted with water for gluten-free option)
1 cup Sour Cream

Procedure

Generously season the beef chuck roast with dill weed, salt and pepper. Truth is, I don't measure the amount of dill weed. I just eyeball it. Place the seasoned beef in the slow cooker. Add the water and vinegar. Cook on low for about 7-8 hours or until roast is tender. I usually crank up the slow cooker to high for the first hour and then turn it to low for the rest of the time. This is to speed up the simmering process a bit.

Remove the cooked roast from the slow cooker and transfer it into an oven-proof dish. Cover with foil. While I am doing the sour cream gravy I usually place the roast in the oven (250F) to keep it warm.

Add the sour cream and flour into the liquid that's left on the slow cooker. Mix by using a whisk until everything is combined and there are no more flour bits floating. Turn the cooker on high and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the gravy is thick enough and heated through. You may also add more dill if you like and adjust the seasoning to your taste. I just like it the way it is, tangy and delicious!

Take the roast out of the oven and serve with the sour cream gravy on the side. Have it with steamed rice and green veggies. Perfectly paired with green beans, broccolli or peas. Yum!

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to subscribe to our posts and join our site. Also do like us in Facebook or follow us on Pinterest so you can get the latest updates and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!



Share:

14 comments

  1. I disagree - that beef looks mighty photogenic, especially with the dill sauce oozing around! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I suppose you are right! Glad you like the photo! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That sauce looks delicious! Thanks for joining Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lois! Sour Cream sauce worked really well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby, this sounds wonderful... I love pot roast, just wish my husband did. I think I will try making it the next time we have company.. that is how I get the things that I like in our diet ~ he won't say anything when we have company :). thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlys, I hope your hubby changes his mind when he gets to taste this! My husband loves this so much so you never know until you try! Thanks for stopping over! :-)

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good. I don't have beef often but am going to make a point to get a chuck roast and make this. I love dill. I have a garden full of it. Do you use fresh dill or dried in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I use dry but if you want to use fresh, probably just add during the last hour or two. You can add them with the gravy as well. :-)

      Delete
  6. I read one recipe where it says cooking the pot roast the day before and reheating the following day is best. Is this something you would do, or is it because it's done in the slow cooker you don't need to? Going to try this recipe for sure. How tangy is the vinegar taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that sour really but the tangy taste is so perfect with the meat so don't be scared of it. Also, when and if we have any left-over - I simply dry-fry it and shred the meat until kind of crispy and we eat that with fried rice and eggs - so delish!

      Delete
  7. Love love love this dish! Totally became a believer of potroast after making this! thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you enjoyed it! This is our all-time favorite pot roast - easy and totally delicious!

      Delete
    2. I agree with you, this is the best way to do Pot Roast. I got this (or a similar one) from a recipe card I got in the mail about 40 years ago. Been making it ever since. My version is a little different. Wanted to share how I do it. You may want to try it. I add 2 onions rough chopped to the crock pot withe the roast. Couple of hours later, I add some potatoes and carrots as well. I sprinkle on some more dill with the addition of the veggies. About 1 hour before the end of cook, I add several small zucchini cut in half to the top of the pot. The veggies cooked in the meat juices and dill are fabulous. Make lots of gravy cause it is fabulous on the veggies as well as the meat.

      I am really glad others are enjoying this wonderful recipe and thank you for sharing and keeping it going.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your tips, Mimi! I will try them for sure! Glad you stopped by. :)

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig