Oct 29, 2014

Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Beef Stew



Fall is the time to make delicious comfort food that will help us cope with freezing cold winter nights. I often experiment on different types and flavors of beef stew so all throughout the season we don't get tired of the same old, same old recipe. This time, I fancied something with a bit of an Asian kick. For convenience I used the slow cooker so it's just a matter of dumping all the ingredients in and then it's ready when we are.

We used some curry powder and other spices to add flavor to the stew and also added some coconut milk for that touch of creamy goodness. With melt-in-your mouth tender beef chunks after a long slow cooking, I can honestly say - this dish truly tickled our taste buds and we enjoyed each delicious mouthful. The bonus, it's even better the next day - assuming there'll be some left-over which may be doubtful if you're into curry and rice! Enjoy!



Print Friendly and PDF


To delete the photos for printing, click on the image box and tick the "remove" button.


Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 lbs Boneless Beef Chuck cut into 2-inch chunks
2 medium Onions, chopped
1 large sweet potato, sliced into 1 1/2 inch chunks
3 medium carrots, sliced 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 14 oz can coconut Milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar, plus more if needed
1 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Procedure

Liberally season the beef cubes with salt and pepper.

Melt the butter and oil using medium-high heat (but not smoking hot) in a large and heavy bottomed pan. Brown the cubed beef in batches. Place the meat in a large platter as you cook.

Place the onion slices on the slow cooker and top with the browned beef. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots.

In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, curry powder, spices, sugar, fish sauce and a little salt and pepper. Pour over beef and vegetables.

Cook on low for at least 8-10 hours or about 5-6 hours on high. Length of time varies depending on your crock pot. Adjust seasoning if necessary adding a little more sugar to balance the flavors and some salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve with freshly cooked Jasmine rice!


If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images box" for easy printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe through email, get our feed or join our site. Feel free to like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest and Google+ too where you can get more recipes. Thanks and happy browsing!


Share:

49 comments

  1. Hi,
    If im going to use pressure cooker. What is the mechanics and the cooking time? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, I haven't tried this in a pressure cooker but your manufacturer may have some info on how long to cook the beef. Perhaps that would help.

      Delete
  2. This looks so sumptuous! How would you prepare this without the slow cooker? Can you get a similar result in less time with regular cooking? Either way, I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, I would probably brown the meat, saute the onions, add the spices and then add enough beef broth to cover and simmer until beef is tender. I will add the coconut milk or just the coconut cream floating on top when the beef is already tender and let the sauce thicken because it may dry if I add it initially. Or if I want to a dryer beef I may adopt this to turn it into Beef Rendang. Now you're making me want to cook this again, as in right now. :)

      Delete
  3. I love my slow cooker and what a yummy recipe! Easy weeknight meal!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot live without my slow cooker Debra! Thankful for it!!!

      Delete
  4. Yum!! I love curries AND slow cooker recipes. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this. I so rarely see curries made with beef and this one makes me gleeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, they're most made with chicken but once in a while I like to use beef instead. Thanks, Michelle!

      Delete
  6. You had me at beef and curry. The slow cooker is just a bonus.Now I just have to go buy some fish sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish sauce makes everything yummy as far as I am concerned! :) Hope you enjoy it Jerry!

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing! What can i substitute for the fish sauce tho? It's not a favorite around here....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sub with soy sauce or worcestershire sauce to taste though the flavor will taste a little different but should still be yum! Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  8. Hi CaN I substitute the sweet potato for regular ones

    ReplyDelete
  9. So easy and so delicious! I prepared it in my oven (2hrs on low) and it turned up perfectly tasty :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, What kind of curry powder did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medium spicy and just the plain red but feel free to use your favorite one.

      Delete
  11. Making today on a snowed in day. Cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Terra!!! Keep safe and stay warm. :)

      Delete
  12. Can't wait to make this! What size coconut milk and is it the only liquid used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usual 14 oz can coconut milk and that's the only liquid I use though you can add a little water if you want it less thick.

      Delete
  13. This was absolutely wonderful! it was the perfect meal for our cold snowy evening. I just got home from a long Thanksgiving visit and had no food in our house. I did a little pinterest search with the few ingredients i had and am so happy i found this! I didnt have any carrots so I used a combination of sweet potatoes and regular white potatoes. I also used fresh grated ginger, honey for the sweetness and added just a little bit of the balsamic vinegar. Served With brown rice. Yummy!!! My husband and 11 month old loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback Sarah! Glad your whole family enjoyed it! Love the way you tweaked the recipe and may have to try that myself!!! :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you for this recipe. It was the first recipe I tried in my new crock pot. My husband does not do sweet potatoes so I used two small Yukon Gold, and I think it was fine. Mine certainly turned out more yellow than yours - my comment to the family was that "It didn't look like her picture at all!". I also thickened it at the end with a slurry of flour and milk.

    Karen M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Making this tomorrow, but wondering if I can use yellow Curry powder as I can't find red curry powder here in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow Curry powder is certainly fine, Michelle. Hope you enjoy this! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. thanks for this recipe, i am excited to try it as i have made a new years resolution to use my slow cooker at least once per month! needless to say i am brand new to slow cooking and am horribly afraid to ruin food and lose time in the hours i wait patiently for it all to be ready to taste…my question is, do i ever stir the pot at any point in this process?? in the beginning? ever during the 8 hours its cooking?? thanks for your help! this is going to be my first ever slow cooker recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stir it in the beginning or at the end but not while cooking or you will lose heat. It should be fine and hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. omg turned out so delicious!! you're a genius! Thanks Again!

      Delete
    3. I am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting us know! :)

      Delete
  17. Made this yesterday, watched football and had a delicious dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. can I use red curry paste? Or does it have to be curry powder. I have both, but the curry powder is yellow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use either but please note that depending on the brand of curry paste - it could be spicier than the curry powder so please adjust accordingly. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  19. I love this beef and curry slow cooker recipe!!
    Soups and stews are one of my favourite meals to make. Thanks for sharing sure a great recipe.  :)
    I have a beef and barley stew that is hearty and delicious.
    http://doubletherecipe.com/2016/03/02/hearty-beef-stew/

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my slow cooker, the sauce doesnt cover the ingredients. Does that matter? Im just wondering if its going to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fine, don't worry. It won't have too much liquid but it won't be dry.

      Delete
  21. i want this so bad now...too bad i have a chicken in the oven already. tomorrow I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is there something else I can substitute for the fish sauce? I'm thinking soy sauce, but wasn't sure if that would go with curry. I don't care for the taste of fish sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can replace with worcestershire sauce, soy sauce or simply salt. Simply adjust to taste. Thanks!

      Delete
  23. Can't wait to try this and when I do, I'll be using fish sauce. The people who scrunch their noses at it are often the same people who actually love some other thai, filipino, or other asian dish that contains it. It's is in SO many asian dishes. Just give it a try folks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is the sweet potato supposed to mush up? Mine did and that's what thickened the sauce... Otherwise if they are supposed to keep their shape I would have needed to put them in maybe halfway through? I used yellow curry powder because that's what I had and it was delicious and easy to make! Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up to you. I like it mashed up so I don't mind adding it earlier. Glad you enjoyed this anyway. Thank you!! :)

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig