Jul 14, 2012

Ice Cream Sandwich




Need I say more? To be honest, this photo leaves me speechless..... and very hungry! J

Of late, when I write a post it seems that I always relate it to something that I have experienced in the past, particularly my childhood. My memories, just like most Filipinos, revolve around food. Experiences are built at or around food. When families and friends get together, there's always food. In fact, our customary greeting, "Kumusta ka na? (How are you?) is often followed by, "O, kumain ka na ba?" (Have you eaten)? To say that we love food is an understatement.

Again, I have been reminiscing about our childhood snacks in the Philippines. At around   mid-afternoon, we like to have "meryenda" (snacks). Of course, every child's favorite snack is "sorbetes" or ice cream.

In neighborhoods, you would hear the sound of a bell ringing and, no, it's not from a church bell, it's actually from the local ice cream man/vendor or "Mamang Sorbetero" as we fondly call them. Every town or village would have their own local ice cream vendor that we even have a song written about it. Click here to see what a typical "Mamang Sorbetero" looks like. 

Sometimes we buy "sorbetes" in a cone but there are times when we buy ice cream in a roll or bun. Yes, an ice cream sandwich. My husband cannot believe we eat ice cream with bread. I told him he should try it 'cause it's really good. So far I have not been successful in convincing him. Perhaps if the ice cream is sandwiched between two cookies, he'll give in. Too bad though, the kids beat him to it!

So, when the local pandesal is not enough for your ice cream. Why not grab  two of your favorite cookies (I like the chocolate ones!) and then insert your favorite ice cream in between. For this rather indulgent version (a once-a-month perhaps even a once-a-year treat!) I used chocolate cookies and vanilla flavored ice cream. Yum!


Share:

6 comments

  1. Beautiful photos (I am drooling as I type) and beautiful blog! I nominated you for the Lovely Blog award - thanks for sharing your great blog, can't wait to try more of your Philippine recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen! You are so sweet and kind! I will write a post about this later. Many thanks for your encouraging words!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Eftychia! The cakes you bake are amazing!

      Delete
  3. Not a good pic to look at when you're pregnant (my husband just received an "emergency" call to pick up ice cream!!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jodi! Am sure a little ice cream won't hurt! Sorry, I hope am not being a bad influence. :-) Thanks for stopping by and hope hubby comes home with your favorite flavor!

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig