Jul 11, 2012

Avocado Shake or Smoothie



One of my fondest memories of childhood was during the summer season in our little island called Marinduque when my mom, in the stifling heat, gave us cold refreshments to help us cool down. Often, it would be a fresh fruit shake in the form of mango, papaya, banana, guyabano, or avocado depending on whichever tropical fruit was in season.



But you may wonder --- avocado? Certainly, it's not fruit! Well, in the Philippines it is! When we think of avocado, we think of eating eat just like any ordinary fruit. We don't really use it as part of a savory dish; we just enjoy it on its own. When you get the ripest avocado, it is almost sweet though you don't expect it to be mango sweet, of course. In fact, for most of us, the way to eat avocado without much ado is to just to open it up - remove the pit,  sprinkle a little brown sugar on it and then scoop out the flesh with the spoon. Yum! When we are feeling more adventurous, we also squeeze a little juice from the local lime (calamansi) to give it some zing! Even better.


For me, apart from making guacamole, the best way to make use of avocado is to turn it into a yummy smoothie or shake. Avocado is just perfect for a shake for it naturally has a creamy texture. We don't call it a smoothie in the Philippines - with or without ice cream or milk - it is always considered a shake. I suggest the use of regular milk when making the shake instead of yogurt or ice cream 'cause it can get very thick. That shouldn't stop you from eating it with ice cream or making an avocado ice cream for that matter - perhaps I should make one soon!

So before the summer is over and when you get the craving to grab some avocados in the supermarket why not try to turn it into a yummy shake for a change. Trust me, once you've had it, you'll never see avocado the same way again.

Ingredients

2 Avocados (ripe)
2 cups crushed ice*
1 cup milk, plus more if needed (for Paleo sub with Almond or Coconut Milk)
Honey, Agave or Sugar (3-4 Tbsp if using brown sugar), to taste 

*You may or may not wish to include ice. Since Avocado smoothie/shake can be quite thick, in the Philippines we use some ice to dilute it a little plus it's a summer drink so it has to be cold.

Procedure

Place the crushed ice in a blender. Top it with the avocado.



Add the rest of the ingredients. Process until smooth and thick to your desired consistency. You may need to add more milk if you want just an easy pour kind of shake. I like mine a little thick and creamy.


If you are feeling rather indulgent, add some whipped cream and garnish it with a cherry on top!



We love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes. 



If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!







Share:

33 comments

  1. This looks GORGEOUS and I can imagine tastes just as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. It's been a childhood favorite. Hope you can try it sometime. Thanks for taking the time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Botanically speaking, they are a fruit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's now been scientifically confirmed! Thanks, Eva, appreciate it and thanks for stopping by. Hope you like it! :-)

      Delete
    2. I am going to give it a try as soon as I send this :) Thank you sharing it

      Delete
    3. I have grown up having this all the time so I do hope you enjoy my childhood favorite shake!

      Delete
  4. How many servings are in this? Just curious. Just started Weight Watchers again. Thanks... and this sounds WONDerful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on your glass size, I'd say about 3 - 8oz glass. That would be my estimate. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. this sounds great would never think of using avocados looking forward tasting this one thank you for the info god bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do encourage you to try it and you'll be surprised as to how delicious and creamy it is! Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to make one of my favorite Filipino shakes..thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help! Enjoy a yummy glass of this wonderful shake!

      Delete
  7. Mmmmm, going to make one of these for breakfast. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely delicious! Its now my favorite shake flavor:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to know that, I grew up with this and love it to this day! Thanks!

      Delete
  9. My mother use to make this for me when I was a kid. It's absolutely delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and am glad we both have the same wonderful memories. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. We have a Fillipino woman who started working with us who had never had Guacamole before. She said she had avocado shakes and we thought she was crazy. But this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan it's unbelievably good! Glad you like the Avocado shake, this is how we use Avocado in the Philippines and pretty much anywhere in Asia. I do love Guacamole, too of course. :)

      Delete
  11. I just tried this for a mid day snack. I used almond milk and coconut palm sugar. Very yummy and oh so creamy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Raising my hand as another Filipina who grew up being refreshed by an avocado shake. It's been far too long since I've enjoyed one, though. Can't wait to make this, Abby. Got some avocados ripening on the counter now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get some avocados soon so I can make this shake again! Enjoy Jean!

      Delete
  13. This sounds so unique and interesting! I've never had avocado in a sweet form, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never would've thought to use avocado for a smoothie! I also never would've thought to snack on it with a little brown sugar. Both great ideas that I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will definitely be making this over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is summer-perfect and hope you like it Pam!

      Delete
  16. I just got the Nutri-Bullet 900 and this may be the first thing I make!!! Simple, gorgeous and full of healthy fats. No need to twist my arm here! YUM! xo Nic

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am an avocado fanatic!! I have only known about Avocado milk shakes for a couple years now, but I LOVE them!!! I make mine with 2 avocados, some honey and cashew or almond milk. That's it! Might try your ice idea ;) Love to have it a bit colder. It comes out creamy, foamy, smooth and sooo good! It's filling, also! I have it as a meal sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig