Jul 2, 2012

Champorado (Filipino Chocolate Rice Porridge/Pudding)




 Back in the Philippines, I remember those lazy saturdays when you can get up later than usual, have a late breakfast and just relax. Of course, one of our classic Filipino breakfast (that doesn't involve fried rice or eggs or even meat....yes, admittedly there is rice but at least it's not fried!) is champorado - chocolate rice porridge.

Who can resist chocolate rice? I can't!

This version is a little richer than the usual champorado. In fact, when my hubby tasted it he thought I should serve it more as a dessert rather than as breakfast. Oh well, for me it's good either way!

Instead of just using water to cook the rice, I use a combination of coconut milk and fresh 2% milk. Evaporated milk, which is more readily available in the Philippines, is fine too. 
It came out really creamy and yummy and enhanced the flavor of the chocolate.
If you wish to have this for breakfast, I recommend using only half of the coconut milk plus some water as stated in the recipe. But if it will be used as dessert, then go ahead and use the entire can and leave out the water for a much creamier version.


So enjoy this champorado either at breakfast or after a meal as a dessert. Top it with with vanilla ice cream or even chocolate chips if you are feeling really indulgent! :-)



Print Friendly and PDF  

Ingredients

  • 2 cups white glutinous or sticky Rice
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
  • 3 cups Water
  • 1 (12 oz.) can Evaporated Milk
  • 1 (14 oz) can Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 cup brown Sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

                                                                                   
Procedure


Wash and drain the rice well. Place in a large deep pan and mix with the unsweetened cocoa powder. Pour in the water and stir. Bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, adjust heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has mostly dried up and the rice is tender about 20-30 minutes




Pour in the evaporated milk and coconut milk. Stir. Add the brown sugar and chocolate chips. Stir until everything is combined and the color is even. Continue to cook uncovered for another 10 minutes or so on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the consistency and thickness is to your liking and the milk has been fully heated through. If it's too thick simply dilute with a little water or milk. Adjust sweetness to your taste.


Serve in individual bowls with additional milk and sugar on the side and perhaps a few sprinkling of extra chocolate chips! Traditionally, we eat it with dried salted fish. But, you don't have to! For dessert, simply top with vanilla ice cream and serve warm. :-)

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to join our site or like us on Facebook. Thank you so much for dropping by! Have a wonderful time browsing!



Enjoy this yummy chocolatey treat!


Share:

18 comments

  1. This looks so good. I have pinned it for later use! Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful recipe to my Birthday Party on facebook!
    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I would guess 4-6 or perhaps more...depending on how big the serving bowl is too.

      Delete
  3. Would I be able to convert to dairy free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not. Perhaps you can try rice, almond or soy milk. I just don't know which one will taste better.

      Delete
  4. Could I use CalRose rice? My mother in law is always telling me how her mom made chocolate rice for her breakfast. She says it was because they were farmers and poor, but this looks decadent! I would love to bring back memories for her (she's filipino) as she glows when she recounts the memories of her mom doing this but I only have half and half and heavy cream and almond milk on hand. And CalRose rice. I know the rice you're talking about as we use it for Biko (spelled wrong I am sure) and also I have brown rice. Also, any chance of making this in the rice cooker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try half and half and cream, am sure that's fine. I haven't tried regular rice with this, I believe sticky rice is always used for this. I would suggest cooking it in a regular pot/sauce pan 'cause unlike regular rice, the liquid should not fully dry but when you decide to try it as you have suggested do let us know how it went. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I have never made rice pudding, but I think I will try this recipe - sounds so natural and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious!! My husband spent two years in the Philippines on his mission and used to have this for breakfast sometimes. We made it tonight and our whole family loved it! We had it as more of a dessert and so used the full can of coconut milk and evaporated milk. Plus I had to add quite a bit of regular milk as it was cooking because it was getting so thick. We served it with extra milk and a few chocolate chips on top (like your picture) and it was excellent! We'll definitely be making it again. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I am so delighted to know that you enjoyed the recipe with your family. It must have been like going down memory lane for your husband when he had champorado.

      Delete
  7. In Mindanao, we use condense milk instead of evaporated milk and draw designs on top of the champorado spiraling it and using toothpicks to create effects in the spiral. Like spider web. This is delicious. We used fresh creamy goat milk and save coconut milk from the ones we cut. Also top off with macapuno shavings. Salamat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious, too and love the artistic spin on top. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  8. My MIL tells me all the time how they were so poor, as her parents were asparagus farmers and her mom would make tons of food for the workers, whom usually were Filipinos who came over and her dad helped them learn English and get their citizenship back in the 40s. So often times she had chocolate rice for breakfast. I would love to make this for her. Also, beco as she and I both LOVE beco. Hubby hates it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your MIL enjoy this! Thanks for the story too. What a memory!

      Delete
  9. This is the first time I made this. I used a Thai sweet rice and noticed that I needed to use about twice as much water. I also used about 1/4 t salt. I thought this would bring out the sweetness-- and I was right! I imagine that's the reason it's normally served with salted fish.

    Thank you so much for posting such wonderful recipes!!

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig