Jul 13, 2013

Extra Special Mango Float



Ohhh summer. I've had a few requests for this special Filipino dessert called Mango Float. For some reason I never got to make it and then finally summer came so I decided this is the perfect time to make it! I am glad I did!
My mom came to visit us here in Michigan back in 2008. While she was here we invited for dinner an American missionary family who were on furlough in the US. They have lived in the Philippines for a long time so when we asked them what food they wanted us to prepare - they said Filipino, please!!! They've been away for a few months and were terribly missing the usual food they ate in the Philippines so we told them, we'll see what we can make. Naturally, we had some Pancit and perhaps even adobo and lumpia for sure - the top Filipino foods. But for dessert? What shall we serve them?

I know my Mom makes a gorgeous Crema de Fruta so I told her to make it so I will finally know how to prepare it, too. Thankfully, she agreed. So I sort of adapted her Crema de Fruta and turned it into a delicious Mango Float.

I don't really know why it's called Mango Float - perhaps because fresh slices of Mangoes are literally floating in cream and supported underneath by Graham Crackers! I can take that explanation... :-)

My mom's secret in making such a delicious Mango Float (or Crema de Fruta) is in the cream. She adds some freshly pureed mango into the mix which transforms ordinary whipped cream into something sublime. In this version, because I used a sweet-tart mango for the puree (like an Apple Mango) I had to add a little honey to balance the flavor. I also added some vanilla extract to the cream and the result is pure cream heaven. For extra flavor and texture, I also added some sliced Almonds. It was truly superb! If you are allergic to nuts then feel free to omit them totally.

While traditionally, you use very ripe mangoes for this - I could only find semi-ripe, sweet-tart ones in the grocery so I was scared it would be a disaster. On the contrary, it was superb. The sweet-tart mangoes actually cut the richness of the cream so it turned out perfect and quite refreshing. So if you can't find very sweet mangoes, try using the sweet-tart Apple Mangoes (provided they are already quite tender) because they are great for this too. While fresh mangoes are the best for this - for your last option, you can also use the canned ones.

This can also be prepared a day ahead and can be refrigerated until needed. Enjoy!!!


Ingredients

2 Half Pints (236 ml each), whipping or heavy cream, chilled  
1/2 - 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, or to taste
3/4 - 1 cup  Mango puree 
1/2 - 1 teaspoon, Vanilla Extract
A little Honey, to taste (optional) 
3-4 Mangoes, thinly sliced (use soft or tender Mangoes for easier slicing)
1 pack Graham Crackers  
6 Tablespoons Sliced Almonds (divided into three)

A few Maraschino Cherries, for garnish

Procedure
In a mixer beat the cream on high speed until the volume increases and the mixture thickens about 3 minutes. Stop the mixer and gently stir in the condensed milk. Add the vanilla extract and mango puree. Adding a small amount of Honey is optional. I added it because the mangoes I had were sweet-tart so to balance it out I mixed some honey. I believe the small amount of honey made a difference in the taste, too. If your mango is already sweet it may not be necessary. Adjust the sweetness to your liking.


Assemble the Graham Crackers on the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish (has to be freezer-safe). Fill in the gaps with smaller pieces.


Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture on top of the Graham crackers.


Arrange the mango slices on top of the cream. You can arrange them however you want to. Sprinkle with about 1/3 of the sliced Almonds.



Repeat the process twice. For the third layer you can add some Maraschino Cherries for garnish. You can add as many Mango slices as you have available. Sprinkle with the remaining sliced Almonds.



The next step is very important. Whether you are serving it in a few hours or the next day - you need to chill it properly. Immediately after assembling the dish, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least an hour - preferably 2 hours. This will help set the cream. Transfer to the fridge and chill for another 1-2 hours and then serve. If serving it the next day then, after freezing it, just place it in the refrigerator overnight and take out and serve when needed. It should come out perfect and easy to slice and will not disintegrate.
Can you see how yummy it is?


If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!  


Share:

23 comments

  1. You had me at MANGO! ;) This looks incredible...must make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thanks, Nicole! Like you am a huge Mango fan! :-)

      Delete
    2. This looks super delicious! Love the recipe :) I am going to try this for sure!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sandhya! Hope you love it as much as we do!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the almonds give the crunch kick to the mango float. I love this! Awesome dessert. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the almonds make it extra-special! Thanks, Micole!

      Delete
  4. We have an apple mango tree in our backyard and we always just eat its fruits as is. Now you've given me a delicious alternative to enjoying its fruits. Thanks Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a blessing that must be. Hope you can try this and like it. :-)

      Delete
  5. just bought some mangos because they were on sale (which is all the time in Cali) and now I know what to do with them...now for the mango puree...I have mango butter from Trader Joes, but not sure where to find mango puree except maybe the Filipino store...any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by SunE. You just make it. If you read the write-up above the recipe, it tells you about it and what to add to it. You can just make it in a food processor with fresh or canned mangoes. Am kinda jealous you have mangoes the whole year through. :-)

      Delete
  6. how long the float can last after taken out from the fridge? will it easily get spoiled? Im travelling for almost 7hrs and plan to bring some. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you have a very good cooler to keep it completely cool (perhaps even use dry ice, if possible) then I won't advise it as the cream may just turn watery or it won't be as firm. 7 hours is quite a long time esp in the summer.

      Delete
  7. do you think it's advisable to use the ready-to-use Nestle All-Purpose Cream instead of the whipping/heavy cream? TIA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I was going to stop by Goldilocks and pick up something sweet for Thanksgiving but this looks tasty and easy...exactly what I was looking for! I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My brother stays in Philipines and Mango float happens to be his favorite dessert. So next time when I meet him will definitely make this for him. Pinning the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's really looks so yummy! wanna try to make one this coming new year's eve later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it and do let us know. Thanks and happy new year!!!

      Delete
  11. Hi Am kind of having a hard time looking for a good sweet mango. What did u use? The mangoes here are sour and not sweet at all. I was thinking of buying those in can with syrup. Are they sweeter? What do u think? Thank you so much! I am a huge fan of yours! This is the first time I made a comment since I am really having a hard time with mangoes! Ugh. But I've been following your recipe ever since I was in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can certainly use canned mangoes if you find it difficult to find fresh and sweet ones. They would be in syrup (like pineapple chunks) so I am assuming kind of sweet, too!

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig