Aug 21, 2013

Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt




When I write a post I love to (if possible) relate it to something that I have experienced in the past, particularly my childhood. My memories, just like most Filipinos, revolve around food. Experiences are built at or around food. When families and friends get together, there's always food. In fact, our customary greeting, "Kumusta ka na? (How are you?) is often followed by, "O, kumain ka na ba?" (Have you eaten)? To say that we love food is an understatement.

Again, I have been reminiscing about our childhood snacks in the Philippines. At around   mid-afternoon, we like to have "meryenda" (snacks). Of course, every child's favorite snack is "sorbetes" or ice cream. In neighborhoods, you would hear the sound of a bell ringing and, no, it's not from a church bell, it's actually from the local ice cream man/vendor or "Mamang Sorbetero" as we fondly call them. Every town or village would have their own local ice cream vendor that we even have a song written about it. Click here to see what a typical "Mamang Sorbetero" looks like. 

Since William and Sophie probably won't be able to try some local "sorbetes" until they are quite old enough, I took it upon myself to make them at home. I already made some Blueberry Ice Cream and Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream for them which were both a hit. This time I thought I would try frozen yogurt for a change.

We have actually first tasted frozen yogurt in Manila. Before frozen yogurt even became a trend in the place where we live (we now have two frozen yogurt shops in the Downtown Holland area, yay!) we already enjoyed it in 2009! However, since I find some store-bought fro-yo to be either too sweet or not really healthy...look at the labels....,             I decided I should make some at home so when I got my ice cream maker, it all became possible! I used the Greek strained yogurt so I no longer have to drain the yogurt for hours. So for convenience, I suggest you get the pre-strained yogurt fort this. 

Try this delicious and healthy Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt at the comfort of your home. So yummy, am sure you'll be so pleased!




Ingredients

2 (17.6 oz) Fage 2 % Greek Strained Yogurt (or your favorite strained Greek Yogurt)
1/2 cup granulated Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoons Honey or Agave Syrup/Nectar
12 oz - 1 lb frozen, mixed Berries
2 Tablespoons, Honey
Juice of 1/2 a Lemon

Procedure

Whisk the yogurt with the sugar, salt, vanilla and honey or agave nectar in a bowl. Cover and place in the fridge while preparing the berries.
On low, heat the berries, honey and lemon juice in a medium saucepan until softened, about 10-12 minutes. Strain, then cool. The remaining liquid you can make into a coulis and use as sauce for the yogurt, vanilla ice cream or even a berry or chocolate cake. Otherwise, discard....but please don't waste it if possible. :-)
Once the berries have cooled down, stir into the yogurt/sugar mixture until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instruction. Transfer to the refrigerator 10-15 minutes before serving to soften the yogurt before serving.
I haven't done this without an ice cream maker though I have made ice cream without an ice cream maker before and it was fine. If you wish to attempt to make this without the ice cream maker - perhaps you can check this post and see how it's done. When you use this method, no need to have the extra 2 hour or overnight refrigeration. Just place the yogurt mixture in a freezer-safe container, cover and freeze immediately. After 40 minutes or so, whisk to break up the ice crystals. Freeze again. Perhaps you just need to repeat this process one more time and then freeze again for another 1-2 hours or until firm. Serve thereafter. :-) Enjoy!

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images box" for easy and convenient printing. 



If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to subscribe to our posts and join our site. Also do like us in Facebook so you can get the latest updates and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing! 
Share:

4 comments

  1. This looks so easy & yummy! I need to try your recipe with my son's goat yogurt (he's allergic to cow dairy)! ~ Ashlee @ thecrunchymoose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made this at least twice already and will be making it again as it's really good and my kids love it! Hope it works well for you, too Ashlee! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  2. This recipe is perfect for my pamangkins. Problem is i dont know where to find mixed berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in the frozen section and if you're in the Philippines, you can replace with frozen mangoes and add other tropical fruits to the mix. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig