Mar 29, 2015

Triple Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake


I was looking at the file photos of my unpublished recipes and lo and behold I found a few digital copies of this chocolate cake. I was surprised that I haven't shared this yet after nearly a year of making this. I recall baking this for a kind friend and neighbor who helped us paint our house last year before we moved to Connecticut. I made him chocolate cake whenever he was over at our place because I know that it is his favorite dessert.

I guess it must have been the crazy busy-ness of the move that I thereafter forgot about some recipes that I made last year which have yet to grace this blog. Oh well, I am rectifying that mistake and sharing today this classic southern cake before I forget about it again! Being the chocoholic that I am, I added more chocolate to the mix - apart from cocoa powder you have extra chocolate goodness from the semi-sweet choco chips and to top it off - a dark chocolate ganache for the ultimate chocolate indulgence! Whether you wish to go all the way by adding all the chocolate flavors in there or you simply want a subtle chocolate taste, you will enjoy this moist cake!


Triple Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake






The secret ingredient that makes this cake so moist is Mayonnaise! Add 3 kinds of chocolate and it's chocolate indulgence at its highest.


Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder 
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon instant Coffee
  • A pinch of Salt
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup Water
  • 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

For the Chocolate Filling 

  • Use either your favorite store-bought chocolate frosting (I used one when I first made this cake) or your favorite homemade recipe, if you have one. If you need one for the filling - here's a good and very easy recipe. This is for a full entire cake (not just for cake filling) so I suggest cutting the recipe in half and adjusting the sugar and chocolate content to your taste. Use the filling/frosting when making the cake in 2 pans. 

For the Dark Chocolate Ganache (use milk chocolate if that is preferred)

  • 4 oz Dark eating Chocolate (65-70%), broken into pieces
  • 4 oz Heavy Cream
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey, Corn, Agave or Maple syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener (adjust sweetness to taste)

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter 2 round cake pans (9-inch ones) and line with parchment paper.
  2. Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, coffee and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
  3. Add the eggs, mayonnaise, sugar, water and vanilla into the flour mixture. Stir until well-blended but do not overmix.
  4. Fold in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. 
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Oven temperatures vary so adjust the time accordingly. 
  6. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Cool the cakes completely before adding the chocolate filling and coating with the ganache.

For the Dark Chocolate Ganache 

  1. Place the heavy cream, chocolate pieces and the liquid sweetener of your choice in a small saucepan. Melt the chocolate using low heat and by stirring until it becomes very smooth and shiny. 
  2. Remove from the heat and immediately drizzle/pour it on the cake spreading it evenly to cover the entire cake. 
  3. Allow the ganache to fully set before serving. 


Yield: 10-12 slices
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes



We would love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes. 

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!



Share:

61 comments

  1. looks so rich and moist.....really mayonnaise? I will haev to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, good old mayonnaise Sherin! Hope you can try it. Do let us know and thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful cake! I have forgot about recipes before, and found them later. It's a fun surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have been discovering these old recipes and experimenting with them and finding them to be quite good actually. Thanks for stopping by Sarah.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Abby, this cake looks like the PERFECT chocolate cake. Just looking at it is making me salivate. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie! That's very kind of you to say. I brought it to our church last Sunday and everyone enjoyed it. Appreciate you stopping by. :)

      Delete
  4. I have never tried baking with mayonnaise, but I can only imagine how it must enhance the cake. This chocolate cake looks decadent and beautiful. Pinning. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Catherine. I was a doubter at first too until I got to taste it and make it. Grateful for the pin. :)

      Delete
  5. OMG this looks sooo moist and decadent! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becca! Yes, the mayo truly made it moist and delish. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks so good. I made mayonnaise brownies once, but this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ren! That's a wonderful idea which I have never tried. On my to do list. Thanks for the tip and for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Wow this is a tempting moist and chocolatey cake...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi! It still amazes me that adding mayo can make a chocolate cake so good.

      Delete
  8. This looks so moist and yummy Abby. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! Am not a very good cake maker so when something turns out good, I am so delighted.

      Delete
  9. This cake looks absolutely a-mazing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Camilla! It's been enjoyed much in our house for sure. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh I need a piece like NOW! This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Serena. I have to share this cake or I'll be eating a lot of it. :)

      Delete
  11. oooh, you have reminded me of an old college favorite of mine! now that there is a great vegan mayonnaise option, I will have to try this again! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of how that may be. If you've tried the vegan one please let us know Kristina. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Looks delicious, but I think there is a mistake in the recipe. There is no cocoa listed among the cake ingredients, but the directions refer to adding cocoa and flour. Anyhow sounds like a wonderful cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Updated and corrected! :) Thanks for pointing that out - I manually code my recipes so that particular portion got cut-off for some reason. Glad you stopped by. :)

      Delete
  13. Oh! So rich and chocolaty! This looks amazing and I'd love to try it -- the mayonnaise is a new addition for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth trying Patricia as it really works. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  14. Your cake looks moist and delicious...never made one with mayo Pinned and shared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks for sharing and pinning. Perhaps one day you can try it. :)

      Delete
  15. Does the mayonnaise enhance the flavour or is it more for the texture? I would love to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, I read somewhere that mayo makes the cake moist and tender due to its egg and oil content and the vinegar in it punches up the chocolate flavor a little. I also add a little coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor more. The cake in the photo uses the frosting as filling and then the chocolate ganache as topping. But you can just use the frosting, too or keep the cake plain. Thanks. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  16. It's only breakfast time here and I think I need a slice of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crave this early in the morning, too Jenny! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  17. I'm trying this right now but I don't know what degree to put it on. I really hope 375 is alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe above specifically mentions 350 F Genesis. Please check it and hope you like it. Thanks.

      Delete
  18. Recipe calls for coffee but no mention of the coffee in the mixing of ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Updated it now Vanessa, thanks for pointing it out! :)

      Delete
  19. Welcome! Thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love mayonnaise cakes, Thank you for the recipe. ...Have you ever tried a peanut butter butter cream icing on your mayonnaise cake? I have to tell you it is the most rich and decadent combination I have ever eaten, just have a gallon of milk ready to wash it down :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sherry but I think I ought to try it as I love peanut butter and chocolate together! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  21. Hi Abby,

    Thank you for the walk down "Memory Lane". My Gram and Mom use to make mayonnaise cakes...they were awesome. Also, have you ever tried a "Tomato Soup" cake? It is much like a spice cake and when topped with a sour cream frosting will blow your socks off. :-D Finally, have you ever heard of Redj Baron Saguin? He is a yound chef and has a TV show in the Philippines called "Cook, Eat Right". He is a very good friend and it might be nice if you two could hook up and share your recipes and cross-culture experiences. He is on FB so just look him up. Feel free to mention my name. And, you keep on doing what you're doing, young lady...I got money on you. Hugggs...:-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. what is in middle layer? it looks like a filling, but not the ganache?????? you cant just put 2 dry cakes together without a filling. I love chocolate mayonnaise cakes...so excited to try this thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genet! I apologize for the late response. I had been sick during the holiday season and have only just started to get back to blogging. At any rate, the answer is above now. For whatever reason, I mistakenly deleted that portion when I updated the recipe and added the ganache. I actually used a store bought frosting when I first made this but feel free to follow the recommended recipe I provided above if you wish or use your favorite one and the chocolate ganache is also included. This recipe is pretty flexible that way and on Pinterest some people used their own frosting and simply followed the recipe of the cake. Anyway, thank you for asking and pointing that out. Have a Happy New Year!! :)

      Delete
  23. It looks yummy and crazy, Mayo? I'm a big fan of chocolate cake so I will make this one. Would it taste different if I don't use coffee? don't love it. Can't wait to try it ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ok not to use coffee - I added it because it intensifies the flavor of chocolate - so even if it's there - you won't even taste it at all - just a good chocolate flavor enhanced by coffee. Just like the mayo - it's there but you won't taste it. But it's up to you - perhaps you can just add an additional tablespoon of cocoa powder. At any rate, however way you do it hope you like it. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  24. Grew up in Central NY and mayonnaise cake was something everyone made. So delish! I can't believe how many people have never had this. I guess it's the best kept chocolate secret!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been making a chocolate mayonnaise cake for 40 years. Mine doesn't have coffee in it. I don't drink coffee & I have never had it in my home. What would you recommend as a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to add coffee if you don't wish to Debra. I added it to enhance or intensify the chocolate flavor but it may be left out if you don't drink coffee. Perhaps simply slightly increasing the cocoa powder may help, too. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
    2. Keeping a little instant espresso powder in your pantry for all baked chocolate cakes, brownies etc..Will always intensity the chic flavor...You don't have to drink or make coffee to use as any other pantry item..Try it..You will taste the difference! Any brand of strong instant coffee, PREFERRED ESPRESSO POWDER! It lasts a long time..You only usually add a Tablespoon or few...

      Delete
  26. This cake looks amazing! Definitely going to try it. Do you think I can use milk or even buttermilk instead of water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done so but certainly worth a try Liz! It may even add more depth of flavor. Let us know how it goes when you try it. Thanks!

      Delete
  27. I frequently sprinkle a few instant coffee crystals on ice cream, cake,and other dishes to add a surprise or additional depth of flavor. Doesn't take much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can you use miracle whip or do you have to use real mayonnaise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Miracle Whip so I am not sure but if you do, please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I just made this using miracle whip and it turned out amazing, tasted just like my mom used to make. I also used the special dark cocoa powder to help add deeper chocolate. Awesome cake

      Delete
  29. Love this recipe simple...am going to make this for my son's birthday

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this recipe simple...am going to make this for my son's birthday

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig