Mar 14, 2015

Irish Soda Bread


I have often been intimidated by yeast breads so more often than not I make cakes or quick breads instead. I feel like I can tackle the latter with more ease and confidence. I know I need to overcome this fear and attempt to make even an ordinary loaf soon - definitely before summer comes as it would be intolerable to turn the oven on during the warmer months. 

However before I do so I thought I ought to make Irish Soda Bread first and see if I can actually make one. I know it doesn't require yeast or a lot of kneading so perhaps it won't be so difficult at all. Besides, I promised the kids I would make them some proper bread this weekend so now I cannot back out. 



I am glad I made it and it came out fine despite my lack of skills in bread-making. This can only mean that anyone can also make this bread. And yes, it can look as lovely as the photo, too. It does't take a lot of skills to make this and you can impress anyone with your work. So whether or not you celebrate St. Patrick's Day this bread is a delicious addition to your table. It's perfect served warm so you can enjoy that delicious freshly baked taste. Spread a little butter on it and oh, it's so good. This bread is also best eaten in  the same day it's made. It's quite a big round loaf so the entire family and perhaps even some friends can all enjoy this so feel free to share.

Now, I am all set to conquer my fear of making yeast breads! Until the next baking adventure!


Irish Soda Bread







This is an easy to make bread made even more flavorful with the addition of sweet raisins. Enjoy for tea time or with your coffee.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups all-purpose Flour
  • 1/2-1 cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 1/3 cups Buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup unsalted Butter, melted
  • 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup raisins
  • Note: You can adjust the sweetness to your taste. If you want it less sweet, just decrease the sugar to about 1/2-3/4 cup. I used the full 1 cup and those who tried it liked it that way.

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  2. Mix together the buttermilk, melted butter and lightly beaten egg in another bowl.
  3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Stir to form a soft dough. It will be quite sticky.
  4. Add the raisins and mix lightly. Do not overmix.
  5. Transfer the bread to a greased baking sheet, springform pan or to be more traditional, in a 9- to 10-inch cast iron skillet. Shape into a ball. You may also cut an X across the top, if you wish.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
  7. Let it cool in the pan or skillet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for a few more minutes. I read that you can also cover the bread with a dish towel while it's cooling on a wire rack. This should help maintain the tenderness of the crust.
  8. Enjoy warm with some butter and jam! 
    Note: If you're not using an iron cast skillet for cooking (which I did) you may need to reduce the baking time (using the cast iron takes a little longer). Check the bread at 40 minutes to see if it's already done.
Yield: 1 large Loaf, 26 slices
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 10 Minutes



We would love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Share:

2 comments

  1. I am so excited to make my first Irish Soda Bread this year...this looks wonderful. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you Catherine! Hope you enjoy making the bread! :)

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig