Jan 5, 2015

Mango Guyabano (Soursop) Smoothie



My mom is quite the health enthusiast. Ok, not the obsessive one but the kind who tried her best to ensure that only the best and healthiest kind of food entered our stomach. I remember her making juice from fresh tomatoes and concocting all sorts of smoothies for our snack! I didn't like the tomato juice at all so even if she bribed me about Php 5.00 for every glass that I drank  (quite a good amount in the 80s) I never learned to love or like it and today, I still don't! :)

However, despite our disagreements on tomato juice - there was one smoothie (or shake as we call it in the Philippines) that I never said "no" to. That is the smoothie made with Guyabano or Soursop fruit. I remember my mom painstakingly removing each seed from the white flesh of the guyabano fruit. Thereafter, all that delicious juicy bits from the fruit get processed in the blender and immediately enjoyed by myself and my siblings!


I thought of recreating that exact smoothie that I recalled from my childhood days. However, to add just a little twist, I decided to add some fresh mango cubes into the mix and come up with a sweeter and yummier version. After all, I wanted to make this a completely tropical smoothie that's not just tasty but full of healthy flavors, too! You can make this with or without milk, depending on your preference. Should you decide to add some milk, make sure to consume it immediately so a slightly bitter taste doesn't develop. Add some sugar or honey, to taste! Enjoy!

Ingredients

1 cup ripe Guyabano (soursop) flesh, seeds removed
2-3 cups fresh and ripe Mango cubes
1 cup (or more) ice cubes
1/2 cup Milk (optional)
Sugar or Honey, to taste (optional)


Procedure

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until thick and smooth. Adjust the sweetness to your taste or you may not even need to add sugar if you have very sweet mangoes. Enjoy immediately!




If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts (via feed or email) or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to join us on Pinterest, Google+ or Facebook  where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!



Share:

7 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I do love this smoothie and hope you get to try it. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious and I think the mango addition is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering I love tropical fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delicious! You're lucky your mom made me smoothies--I think that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good. I love tropical fruits, but wonder if I can find what I need in my land-locked rural area. Going on a quest now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! We call it Guanabana in Puerto Rico...:)

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig