Jan 7, 2015

Lechon Paksiw (Stewed Roast Pork)


Happy 2015!!! It seems forever since I last posted here. Please pardon my prolonged absence as my family and I have been on a much needed holiday here in the Philippines. As of this writing, my family are already in the US although I am still here in Manila as I still have some business to attend to.

As some of you may know, I am a lawyer by profession. For me to keep my license to practice law in the Philippines I need to take what is called "Mandatory Continuing Legal Education" (MCLE). I am staying longer here in Manila so I can take another week-long MCLE course here. You may ask why since I no longer practice law. That may be so but since I worked so hard to get this license (note: countless sleepless nights for the bar review alone!) I thought to myself I don't want to lose it. I actually enjoy these seminars; I recently finished one in December. Even though some subjects are not useful for me at all, I find the others to be quite helpful and the fact that I can still comprehend these lectures makes me happy and realize that somehow my legal mind is still intact! :)

At any rate, don't want to bore you with all these legal stuff. Let's get into the culinary business and enjoy Filipino's favorite viand - Lechon - well - close to it - Lechon Paksiw (Stewed Left-over Pork Roast). Whenever there's left-over lechon (Pinoy roast pork) after a major celebration (yes, lechon is an integral part of any gathering) then you can be certain that the next day this stew will on the table! It's quite a versatile recipe as you can use this for any left-over roast pork. Keep the original gravy for the roast as that is important in this recipe but if you don't have it, in the Philippines we use the Mang Tomas sarsa. If you can't find it, you can substitute with liver pate though the taste will be slightly different but still tasty. Enjoy!



Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Oil
Half a head of garlic, chopped
1 medium Onion, sliced
2.2 lbs (1 Kilo) Left-over lechon (Roast Pork)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3-1/2 cup Vinegar, or to taste
2 Tablespoons Oyster sauce
2-3 Tablespoons brown Sugar, or to taste
1 cup Sarsa ni Mang Tomas (or gravy from the roast)

Procedure

Heat oil. Add garlic and onion. Sauté until very aromatic. Add the left-over roast pork and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Pour the vinegar and allow to boil. Add the oyster sauce and the sugar.

Stir in the the Mang Tomas sarsa or gravy.  Continue to simmer for another 5-8 minutes to allow the meat to fully absorb the sauce. You can let it dry or leave a little bit of sauce.

Adjust seasoning if necessary! Enjoy with lots of rice!

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!



Share:

2 comments

  1. I definitely feel like I need to try this. I'm drawn to anything with vinegar...I don't know what it is about me and vinegar. But I'd rather have a bunch of gourmet pickles than a brownie. Obviously I know that this isn't going to have that vinegar taste that I crave so much, but I do like the flavor that vinegar brings to things. .0



    I need to try this. I have such a thing for vinegar...I love the flavor it gives sauces!









    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are the same Michelle! I prefer savory and salty food over sweets! Hope you like it and thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig