Aug 21, 2014

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread


We have been given some huge zucchinis by some friends from church and I didn't know what to do with them! Then I remembered that one of the ladies in our previous church brought some chocolate zucchini bread and I got to taste it there and couldn't believe it had vegetable in it! It was so moist and really tasty and with no hint at all that there's zucchini in it, just plain good chocolate yummy-ness in each bite. I was hooked!

However, I never really tried to make one until this week, when we had extra zucchinis. I already had a great recipe for blueberry zucchini bread so I thought I'll just tweak it a little and add some cocoa powder and of course for extra flavor choco chips (or chunks, if you prefer that)! I was amazed at how yummy and moist it came out. The chocolate flavor is subtle yet distinct and each mouthful makes you want to have another bite or two! Am glad that when we have zucchinis aplenty I can make this or the blueberry version if I have some fresh berries at hand. And yes, my husband who always loved zucchini bread anyway, truly enjoyed it and had a few slices....(I won't tell how many!). Please enjoy with your favorite coffee or tea and yes, since there's some vegetables in it - you can safely indulge, right? :) 



Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all purpose Flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa or Cacao powder*
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 large Eggs
1 1/2 cups, shredded/grated Zucchini
1 cup Sugar (white)
1/2 cup Vegetable or any neutral flavored oil*
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (rolled/coated in 2 Tablespoons Flour)

*For this version, I used raw Cacao powder.

*I used Grape seed Oil.

Procedure

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease (or butter) a loaf pan.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the zucchini, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. 

Fold in the chocolate chips (including the extra flour with it).

Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. 

Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest so you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!


Share:

12 comments

  1. Can you please suggest an egg substitute ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you can try flax seed. Here's a website that's helpful for egg substitute in baking - http://chefinyou.com/egg-substitutes-cooking/ - you may wish to check it, too.

      Delete
  2. This bread look too perfect! Just pinned it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pictures, Abigail as always! I love the combination of zucchini and chocolate here. Chocolate at its best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double the chocolate, double the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful. I love the moisture the zucchini will bring to the bread. Chocolate and zucchini are wonderful partners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, This looks so rich and sinfully chocolate-laden. Just my style. Plus, if I felt I needed to justify it, the zucchini would let me count it as a vegetable rather than dessert don't you think:)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate and Zucchini is a splendid combination. I have never tried to bring them together, so, this will be a wonderful experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Abigail, what a wonderfully moist and delicious bread. This sounds so good...dare I say it would be perfect with coffee in the morning! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my best slice of chocolate zucchini bread in New York and never tried to bake some since. Your recipe is so tempting, I really need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love zucchini bread and yours sounds so lovely, moist with a lot of chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this yesterday, halving the sugar and using brown sugar instead, and it was absolutely delicious! The baking time is perfect, and the bread is so moist and yummy. My partner was hesitant after learning there was zucchini in it, but said he couldn't taste it at all.. then went for a second piece!

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig