Jan 22, 2014

Yum Yum Dipping Sauce



One time, one of our page followers asked me if I had a recipe for Yum Yum Sauce. I must confess that at that time, I actually didn't know what she meant and had to google it (boy, am I thankful for the internet at times!). When I saw the recipe and its ingredients, I realized all my life I have been making something similar in the Philippines - a mayo-based sauce flavored with either tomato paste or ketchup and then sometimes sweetened with a little sugar or perhaps even some condensed milk. It is naturally used as a dipping sauce for fries (that's camote/sweet potato fries for us) and fried chicken and more commonly as a dressing or perhaps even as a marinade.

So when my other blogger friends asked me to join in the Dippin' in January series, I already knew right away what I would make. I patterned the recipe after the well-known Japanese Steak House sauce called Yum Yum, hence I used the same title but I retained a little Filipino flavor there by using Ketchup instead of the usual tomato paste. I thought I will stick to what I am familiar with but if you don't like ketchup use tomato paste instead. Of course, I was guided by my taste buds in making this, I made it similar to the one I made at home but also has the flavor notes of the Japanese Steak House version. The addition of a little rice vinegar (which we don't do in the Pinoy version) really made this sauce fantastic - it added extra tang (but not sourness) which contrasted so perfectly with the sweetness of the sauce. This dipping sauce is versatile as you can use this as an accompaniment for fries, vegetable platters, chicken nuggets and yes, even as a replacement for tartare sauce. Honestly, whatever you dip in this sauce instantly tastes better! As with all my other recipes in this blog, feel free to tweak them to your own taste preference.


Even before I knew what a Yum Yum sauce was, I was already making something similar and always used it as the sauce for our favorite Chicken Scampi.




Ingredients

1 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
2 teaspoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon ground Paprika
2 Tablespoons Water
2 teaspoons Rice Vinegar

Procedure

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and  well-blended. Refrigerate overnight (preferred) or at least for a few hours to allow the flavor to develop. As with any recipe, feel free to adjust the measurement to suit your taste. My family loves this as is but perhaps you prefer it sweeter or tangier. Please enjoy!


The Yum Yum Sauce is one of the yummy dips featured in our DIPPIN' IN JANUARY SERIES presented in collaboration with other foodie bloggers who are not only very talented, they are my friends, too. We are dip no. 9, the last but hopefully not the least...as my other blogger friends have really outdone themselves in making such fantastic dips! They have set such a high bar that ours seem too simple but hope you like it anyway. :-D Don't forget to check out the other scrumptious dips showcased in this delicious project.



1. JALAPENO POPPER DIP by Moore or Less Cooking Blog
2. MELTING POT SWISS CHEESE FONDUE by Tampa Cake Girl
3. ROCKY ROAD BROWNIE BATTER DIP by Hun, What's for Dinner?
4. PROSCIUTTO ARTICHOKE SPINACH DIP by Crumbs in my Mustachio
5. CRAB RANGOON DIP with WONTON CHIPS by Lemony Thyme
6. BLT DIP by Cooking from a Stay-at-home Mom
7. APPLE FRENCH TOAST BRUNCH DIP by Baking in a Tornado
8. SUCCULENT SALMON DIP by The Rowdy Baker
9. YUM YUM DIPPING SAUCE - that's us!!!

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Share:

5 comments

  1. Can't wait to make this. I think I'm going to serve it with an assortment of Sweet Potato Fries (for me) French Fries (for the kids) and Onion Rings (for all). Pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Can you please invite me over when you make all that? :) Please enjoy!

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig