Jan 25, 2014

Wonton Soup



I am so glad that after several years, I made this truly tasty Wonton soup again today. It was just perfect for the arctic temperatures we have been having the past few days. I am equally delighted that even my kids enjoyed this and hubby especially loved it with rice. I tried it with rice the second time around and I fully understood now why he wanted to eat it this way. The rice soaks up the delicious broth and is so perfect to eat with the delicious wontons. Perhaps we will try it with some noodles next time. Hope this winter you will enjoy this comforting and flavorful soup. It will surely warm you up and make you feel so refreshingly good!

You can make the wonton soup on its own without any added ingredients (see photo below). But if you wish to make it more substantial, add some noodles or vegetables or eat it with rice! Enjoy!


Ingredients


1 pound ground Pork
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
3-4 Green Onions/ Scallions (roughly 3 Tablespoons), finely chopped
1 Tablespoon Rice Wine or dry Sherry
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Ginger*
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 lightly beaten Egg
Salt, to taste (optional)*
8-10 cups Chicken Broth
1 pack Wonton wrappers
A bowl of cold water*
Vegetables: some carrots, cabbage, broccoli, (optional)
Extra soy sauce or fish sauce, for seasoning
A few drops of Sesame Oil


*Do not substitute with ground Ginger as this is what really makes the filling delicious.

*Hubby and I think there's no need for extra salt because of the soy sauce and oyster sauce but feel free to add a little, if you wish to.

*Use for sealing the wrappers.

Procedure

Mix the pork, oyster sauce, pepper, scallions, rice wine or sherry, soy sauce. fresh ginger, sugar, egg and salt (if using) in a bowl. Use your hands to mix everything evenly. 



Place a heaping teaspoonful of the meat mixture in the middle of the wonton wrapper.


Using cold water, dampen all four sides of the wrapper. Pull all the corners of the wonton wrapper towards the middle and then press firmly until they stick together and are sealed properly.  Set aside. 

There are other ways of shaping the wontons as you can see in the photo. Feel free to be creative. 


Cook the wontons separately first. This will prevent it from making the broth cloudy as some wontons are covered with extra flour. Bring enough water to a boil. Once boiling, drop the wontons and cook for about 4-5 minutes (note: they are nearly cooked when they start floating). Remove the wontons using a slotted spoon or simply drain.

Bring the chicken broth to a boil (I boil the water and chicken broth  at the same time to save some time). Add the veggies and cook until they are tender. Season the broth with a little soy sauce or even fish sauce to add/improve flavor. Add the wontons and let cook for a couple of minutes or until fully heated through. Turn off the heat and then  add a few drops of sesame oil (eyeball it!) to give it that nutty yummy sesame taste. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately, with rice if preferred. 

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images box" for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!


Share:

19 comments

  1. I want to make this with ground beef. Any idea if it would taste right with the beef, and how do i know if the meat is cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same as the pork I can imagine but I haven't tried the beef version myself. If you do, please let us know. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. When I a was sick as a child, my mom would make Wonton soup. I can not wait to try your version--it sounds like perfect comfort food to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's comfort food for me Kristen and hope you like it, too! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I've never made wontons but am intrigued. Your soup looks delicious and healthy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, my tummy is already rumbling just from looking at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THIS is how to serve and eat wonton soup! None of that watery, gummy stuff you get at local Chinese restaurants. I will have to make this soon to curb my craving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to make this for my oldest granddaughter. When she was a little bitty she wanted "one time soup" often. Yours looks and sounds like what we would get from the restaurant. TY for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi! can you mix the pork with prawn as well? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this with ground chicken for a healthier choice. Excellent recipe. My favorite wonton soup ever! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know! So glad you enjoyed it and this is certainly one of my fave recipes on the blog!

      Delete
  9. Hi! I don't like oyster sauce, can I replace it by soy sauce or something else?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soy sauce is already included so if you wish you can just increase the amount to taste.

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig