Jan 4, 2014

Gluten-free Waffles


My family loves breakfast! We consider it one of the most important meals of the day. While we often don't have the luxury of having a hot and prepared breakfast everyday, on weekends I make it a point to make something that my kids love and the whole family enjoys. While pancakes are a great favorite, my kids last year began clamoring for some waffles. I told them I had to find some waffle maker first. Off we went to the thrift store - I didn't want to immediately buy a new one until I actually knew how to make a waffle. I have been wanting to buy this all-clad gorgeous Belgian waffle makers but oh-boy they are way to expensive and beyond my budget even when they are on sale so I thought, I'll have to check out the second hand store first. Thankfully, we found one that looks like new and hardly used if at all - though I must say, beside it was a gross-looking waffle maker that looks like it was never ever cleaned properly as grease and stain was all over it. I wondered why they were selling that one. We passed on that and quickly grabbed the unused and almost brand-new looking one. We came at the right time!

I know that the waffle batter is similar to that of the pancake one though thicker obviously so I thought I'd try to use my pancake batter, tweak it a little and the twist would be - use a gluten-free flour instead of the usual wheat flour. Hubby is into a more gluten-free diet so I try to accommodate this as much as I can so we can all enjoy the same food together. Fortunately, it worked and the waffle turned out so well. It was so wonderfully crisp on the edges yet deliciously moist and perfectly cooked in the middle. And yes, aren't we glad that second hand waffle maker worked so well? And now that I know how to make a  delicious waffle batter - I will again hunt down for a good sale of that all-clad waffle maker! Perhaps, 2014 will be the year when I get it! I can dream, right?





Ingredients

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (like King Arthur's Gluten-free Flour)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk 
3 Tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted 

Procedure

Sift together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center, place the egg in, then pour in the milk and the melted butter. With a whisk, mix until the batter is free from big lumps or until relatively smooth. 

Pour a ladleful or just enough batter on your waffle maker and bake for about 4-5 minutes or according to your waffle maker's instruction. Serve immediately with warmed up maple syrup. Enjoy some delicious gluten-free waffles!

You can freeze left-overs in a plastic bag. Insert a sheet of wax paper between each waffle to prevent sticking. 

If you wish to print the recipe there is a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.


If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to subscribe to our posts and join our site. Also do like us in Facebook so you can get the latest updates and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig