Oct 27, 2012

Giant Oreo Cookie Cake


Since we are having a little celebration at home for my kids' birthdays (William - Oct. 28 and Sophie - Oct. 25), I thought I'd make a quick post of one of their favorite cakes. I normally like to bake from scratch but this cute cake is a great exception to the general rule. I like to make it once in awhile 'cause it's so easy and has always received rave reviews whenever and wherever served. That explains why it has been pinned on Pinterest for over 470K already!

Without much ado, it being one of the most popular cakes on the web - here's the Kraft Chocolate-Covered Oreo Cake, aka - The Giant Oreo Cake!

I followed the recipe to the letter pretty much though I note the particular brand that I use when I make this. Yummmmy!




Ingredients


1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food cake mix (Duncan Hines)
4 squares Baking Chocolate, Semi-Sweet (Ghirardelli)
1/4 cup butter                                                                                                         
1 pkg (8 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping

12 Oreo Cookies, coarsely crushed

Procedure
HEAT oven to 350ºF.
PREPARE cake batter and bake in 2 (9-inch) round pans as directed on package. Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Invert onto wire racks; gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.
MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min. Meanwhile, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gently stir in COOL WHIP and crushed cookies.
PLACE 1 cake layer on plate, spread with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top with chocolate glaze; let stand 10 min. or until firm. Keep refrigerated.


Here's the link to the original recipe from Kraft - Chocolate-Covered Oreo Cookie Cake.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to join our site or like us on Facebook! Happy browsing!







Share:

20 comments

  1. Oh men, this looks divine!

    www.justonebigman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a from scratch baker as well but also a firm believer in having lots of good recipes like this one on hand. Out of the boxed mixes, the Devil's Food is the best. This cake looks amazing Abby! I know all of my boys would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Valerie, good to have a quick and handy mix recipe such as this for certain times. Am sure your boys would love this! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Another fabulous creation! I'd like a jug of milk with that giant cookie please....

    Great idea Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you said, Jug of milk, Jen! LOL! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again for sharing it with us! It looks SO SO SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Glad you like it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. If I served this giant Oreo along with my Giant Chipwich, my kids would be in cookie-cake heaven! Love it, Abby, and will share on my page soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! I will be in Cookie-Cake heaven too if I had both! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! This is dangerous, I might eat the whole thing myself. Looks soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite more-ish I must say but better shared with family and friends. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Just made this for church in the morning the only thing was I didn't taste the glaze before I put it on the cake and it wasn't quite sweet enough for me wish I would have I would've added a splash of vanilla and powdered sugar to make just a little sweeter:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do so for next time. I don't like anything too sweet so this is just right up my alley.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a great idea. And there will lots of leftover Oreos too =)

    Marlene
    Info site for Seattle Directional Drilling Professionals

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made this quite a few times and it is delicious!! Rave reviews from all! Even easier - I use a can of prepared fudge frosting, microwave til soft, and pour over cake, It drizzles down the sides for a cool effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you love this!!! And thanks for the great tip, too!

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig