Oct 9, 2012

Filipino (Pinoy) Style Lentil Soup


It's getting really cold now and I miss my favorite Mung Bean dish - Ginisang Munggo - which we often have in the Philippines. When I discovered that lentils have a similar taste and texture to my fave mungo I decided to cook it the same way and I love the result. For this recipe, instead of the usual pork and beef cutlets traditionally added in Ginisang Munggo, I opted for Italian sausages for richer taste and texture. Towards the end of cooking, I added some spinach leaves to pack in extra nutrients!

If you're thinking of one healthy meal to cook for your  family that's full of good flavor without much guilt, you have to try this recipe. My husband particularly loves this and little Sophie eats this with rice!

Just leave out the meat if you want a vegan or vegetarian option. Enjoy this healthy soup (or stew) during the cooler days!


Print Friendly and PDF


To delete the photos for printing, click on the image box and tick the "remove" button.


Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil
5-6 crushed garlic cloves
2 medium size onions, chopped
1 lb Italian or your favorite sausage (mild or hot or a combo), cut/chopped diagonally
5 diced roma tomatoes 
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 ½ cups dried lentils
5 cups of water
1 (10 oz) bag of spinach

Procedure

Heat the olive oil in a deep pan. Sauté the garlic and onions until the onions are tender about 3-4 mins.


Add the sausages and cook until brown. Stir in the tomatoes and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper then cook for another 3-4 minutes. In the meantime, rinse the lentils and drain. Add the lentils and water to the sausages and vegetables then bring to a boil.

  

Simmer covered for about an hour or until lentils are tender. Finally, add the spinach and cook just until it's wilted.


Adjust seasoning to your taste. Serve hot on its own or paired with bread or rice.


If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to join our site, like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinerest. Thanks for stopping by Manila Spoon and happy browsing!




Share:

18 comments

  1. Ooh, this has got to thaw those cold evenings!
    Thanks for another great and simple recipe Abby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! This is a staple in our household when the cold weather sets in. Thanks for coming over!

      Delete
  2. Abby! This looks great! I saw it on Facebook the other day and shared it on my wall. Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lois for sharing it. I truly appreciate all your support and I will be there to vote!

      Delete
  3. This looks so good. It has all of my favorites in it! I love soup season and will add this to my list of soups to make!

    Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday and hope you come back next week with another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cynthia! Hope you like it when you get the chance to make it.

      Delete
  4. Wow..this soup looks delicious!! I like your blog.
    I m your new follower, please check out my blog anytime.Meriem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meriem, thanks for stopping by and joining manilaspoon. Glad that you like the blog. Hope you like the soup too when you are able to make it.

      Delete
  5. I tried looking for lentils in our local grocery but they seem to be clueless about what it is. I'll try again this weekend at S&R, maybe they have some on stock. Can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if there's any Indian store somewhere near you, but for sure they'll have it or perhaps a health store if there's one in Manila. Hope you find it and thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Would love to try this tomorrow for dinner...my children will love it with rice. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fe! Glad you came by and hope you and the kids like it!

      Delete
  7. Making this right now...used chicken stock instead of water but everything else the same...added some sugar, organic, cause of tomatoes...it smells so delicious....THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I am glad you tried this and I hope you liked it too. Just had this recently and simply love this recipe.

      Delete
  8. Abby, this soup looks amazing! Just saw it on Mom! What's for dinner? on FB. I'm pinning now so I can try it later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, thanks for stopping by! I do hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Glad you came by! :-)

      Delete
  9. Hi...I printed out this recipe last October (2012) and finally decided to make it...mission accomplished this morning! AWESOME! I added cumin, 2 small potatoes (cubed), 1 can of white beans (rinsed and drained) and only 2 links of sweet Italian sausage out of the casing. I am sorry I didn't try this sooner, it is SO delicious!! Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad you enjoyed it! One of our favorite soups for sure! Appreciate the feedback. Thanks for letting us know.

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig