Oct 18, 2014

Fresh Apple Cake


I walk my little boy William to school everyday and we are grateful that the school is less than a 5-minute walk. In our usual route, I pass through one of our neighbor's front yard which has a big Apple tree. One day in  October I was walking back from school, I saw our neighbor picking up some apples that came from the tree. At this time she has placed a sign by the tree which asked anyone who happens to pass by to pick a bag of apples.

She kindly gave me a huge bag of Apples which I excitedly accepted. She told me her tree drops about 50-70 apples a day! She really was quite desperate to give these apples away. She said I can eat the apples if I prefer and or just use them for baking. I happily thanked our kind neighbor and promised her I won't waste the apples.



The apples turned out to be quite good and sweet. I have tried them and loved the taste. With the extras, naturally, I had to make some Fresh Apple Cake! Instead of just adding them on top of the cake in my other apple recipe, I mixed the Apples with the cake batter, added some spices for flavor and pecans for extra crunch! It came out super-moist and truly yummy! It's perfect on it's own but you can certainly dress it up with a delicious smothering of custard sauce. I think the custard sauce perfectly complements the spiced apple cake but if you ask my hubby - it's even better if you combine ice cream with custard! Have it your way! :)





Ingredients

4 cups Apples, chopped peeled or unpeeled*
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup White Sugar
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 teaspoon Salt
3 cups all-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups Vegetable or Coconut Oil
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 cup chopped Pecans (or walnuts)

*If you're using organic apples you can leave the skin on for extra fiber but feel free to peel, too.


Procedure

Preheat oven to 350 F

Combine the chopped apples, sugar, spices, salt, flour, baking soda, eggs, oil, vanilla and pecans in a large bowl in the order listed. Mix well. Batter will look like a sticky cookie dough.

Spoon into an ungreased 9x13 pan. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or in room temperature with either ice cream or custard (like Bird's) or a homemade one. If you wish to get the recipe for an easy and tasty homemade custard, click here.

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon at the end of the post. Click on the "remove images box" for easy printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe through email, get our feed or join our site. Feel free to like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest and Google+ too where you can get more recipes. Thanks and happy browsing!


Share:

11 comments

  1. Oh my goodness, this looks like a wonderful treat! Pinning! If you have a free moment, I would like to invite you to stop by Foodie Fridays and and link it up with us...it's perfect for this time of year!! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm going to have to take a leaf from the husband's book and combine the custard with the ice cream! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! You can never go wrong with that Arman!

      Delete
  3. This cake looks so moist and tender! I bet that custard sauce really amps up the flavor of the cake too. What an awesome neighbor that you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to have nice neighbors and we are truly thankful, Miranda. And yes, the custard sauce adds extra yum to the cake! :)

      Delete
  4. how nice of your neighbor to share! we have a cherry tree and end up with huge bowls and bowls and bowls of cherries... as soon as I have enough in my freezer, they start going to my mom and neighbors :)

    this cake sounds perfect - and the custard, Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wonderful neighbor to have Kristina! I am sure they always look forward to cherry season for that reason. And thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful neighbor you have. This cake looks so moist and delicious and I'll have to try it with that custard topping, it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we're having cake for breakfast ;) I love how many apples you've added, it sounds just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think I got the comment right this time. So glad I found your blog. I love your recipes. I could comment on all of them. Will follow you. Are you on twitter also?

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig