Sep 19, 2013

Fruity Kale Salad with Asian Vinaigrette


So many of us, I assume, already know the health benefits of Kale so I will not repeat all that information here. And if I am wrong in my assumption, it's quite easy to google it anyway, right? :-)

Because Kale is nutrient-rich, I often use it, interchangeably with Spinach, for my smoothies. Almost daily, I would have Kale in my Green Smoothies. You see, I would rather drink my greens sometimes than eat them. Perhaps I am just too lazy to munch on them but I just think it's very convenient this way.

You should try a green smoothie, it's really tasty and no, not yucky as you might imagine. With all the other fruits and nut butters in it - except for the color - you wouldn't think at all that you're actually drinking your vegetables! You won't even taste it. For me this is the best way to get your daily servings of vegetables and fruits and actually enjoy it, too.

Now, I haven't used Kale at all for making salad though I have tried one before and actually loved it. I thought it's about time I post another salad recipe and this time why not Kale? After all, I buy it every time I visit the Farmer's market and I often have more than enough left even after I have done a day's worth of Smoothies. So here's a very simple Kale salad recipe that has some Asian flair in it. The tangy fruits complement with the Kale while the Almonds add texture and crunch. The Asian dressing is wonderful and after it's been fully absorbed gives much flavor to the salad. Do try this pretty simple salad recipe that would make you feel so healthy and also happy!!!




Ingredients


For the Salad

1 lb Kale
2-3 small Oranges, peeled and sliced into segments*
1/3 cup dried Cranberries
1/3 cup toasted and sliced Almonds

*You can use canned Mandarin oranges for convenience, if you like. I opted to just use the fresh oranges since I had them anyway.

For the dressing

1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons, freshly squeezed Orange Juice (adjust to taste)
1-2 Tablespoons, packed Brown sugar
2  Teaspoons, Sesame Oil
1/2 Teaspoon, Garlic powder
1/2 Teaspoon, ground Ginger
1/8 Teaspoon, Salt

Procedure

For the Asian Vinaigrette, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl using a wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Prepare the Kale  by removing and discarding its stems and center ribs. Tear the leaves into pieces with your hands or chop it with a  knife. Rinse and drain well.

In a large bowl, toss the Kale with half of the fruits and nut. Sprinkle the remaining fruits and nuts on top. Drizzle with the vinaigrette all over. Let stand at room temperature for half an hour to allow flavors to blend.

Adapted from McCormick's Kale Salad with Asian Vinaigrette recipe.


If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to subscribe to our posts and join our site. Also do like us in Facebook so you can get the latest updates and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing! 
Share:

1 comment

  1. Where did you purchase Kale? :) I'm from the philippines too but can't find any.

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig