Jan 12, 2017

Slow Cooker Beef Caldereta (Kalderetang Baka)

This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too. Serve with Jasmine rice.

This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too. Serve with Jasmine rice.

Sometime last year when the weather was starting to get cooler, I had this intense craving for Filipino food. In particular, I was longing for a steamy bowl of Beef Caldereta, a classic Filipino beef stew originally based on a Spanish stew, hence the name, (we were colonized by Spain for over 300 years, remember?) but with a distinctly and authentic Asian flair! It is a dish you will commonly find in any major celebration in the Philippines - weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, you name it. It is usually made with either beef or goat though you may also find versions of chicken or pork. Naturally, it pairs perfectly well with rice!


This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too. Serve with Jasmine rice.

I have previously made a Beef Caldereta cooked in Coconut milk and spices. Check here for that yummy recipe! This time, I wanted to make the classic version of Beef Calderata that uses tomatoes for its sauce instead. For an even more authentic version, you can try using liver spread in place of the peanut butter called for in the recipe. Hubby is not a huge fan of liver so I made a delicious replacement - peanut butter - which is also used in the Philippines for cooking this stew. The bonus, it's made in the slow cooker so you can prep it in the morning and have a delicious dinner later!! Enjoy with a huge plate of rice!

Here's a video presentation (shortcut version of the full recipe below) of the Slow Cooker Beef Caldereta.




Print Friendly and PDF

Slow Cooker Beef Caldereta / Kaldereta

Manila Spoon
Published: 01/12/2017

Slow Cooker Beef Caldereta / Kaldereta

This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is totally robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too.

Ingredients

  • 2.2 lbs / 1 kilo Beef stew meat (chuck roast cut into chunks)
  • 2 Tablespoons Oil (plus a little extra if needed)
  • 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 medium size Carrots, sliced into 1-inch thickness
  • 4 Red Potatoes, cut into cubes (roughly the same size as the carrots)
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • 1 cup Beef broth or water
  • 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce or Soy Sauce (adjust to taste)
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
  • 1/3-1/2 cup Peanut Butter, or to taste (maybe replaced with Liver spread to be more authentic)
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1 cup frozen Peas
  • 2 teaspoons brown Sugar (optional)
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan (like a heavy stainless steel or cast iron skillet), heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Sear the beef by browning on all sides in the hot oil. Keep some space in between the beef chunks when frying so don't dump all the beef but cook in batches. Place in a plate as you cook. This method will ensure a deep and delicious taste from the meat so if you can don't omit the step.
  2. In the remaining oil (or add a little oil to the skillet if needed) saute the garlic, onions and tomatoes for 3-4 minutes. The purpose is to deglaze the pan with the juices from the veggies and get all the yummy brown bits remaining there for extra flavor. Place the beef and the sauteed vegetables in the slow cooker. If there's no time, simply add the browned beef with the vegetables in the slow cooker.
  3. Add the carrots, potatoes and bay leaves. Pour the beef broth (or water), fish sauce or soy sauce and the tomato sauce. Give it a quick stir. Cover and cook on low until the beef is fork tender between 6-8 hours.
  4. When the beef is already tender enough to eat (but not falling apart) add the peanut butter and red bell pepper. You can also add the frozen peas at this point. Add the sugar, if using. This is not to sweeten the stew but to enhance the flavor. Season with extra salt and pepper, if needed. Stir everything gently. Cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour or until everything is fully heated through. Serve with freshly steamed rice on the side.
Yield: Serves 6-8
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Cook time: 08 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 8 hrs. 30 mins.
Tags: Filipino Food, Filipino, Asian, Stew, Beef, Gluten-free, Dinner, Easy, Recipe

This Asian beef stew (Beef Caldereta) is robust in flavor and so delicious! Cooking in the slow cooker makes it very convenient, too. Serve with Jasmine rice.


Share:

43 comments

  1. Oh wow, I have all of the ingredients for this delicious slow cooker meal! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. This makes me miss my lola's caldereta! I don't really cook (can't even if I wanted to lol) but I can sometimes handle the slow cooker so I may just give this a shot. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola's recipes are the best, aren't they? I sure hope you will enjoy this should you get the chance to try it. We just had this again last night. :)

      Delete
  3. What a yummy meal! Love that it can be made in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good slow cooker recipe! They are so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I am all for anything being made in the slow cooker, so simple! This is a new recipe for me to try and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a comforting meal...this looks so flavorful and delicious dear! I would love to try this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome, and I bet the whole house smells amazing while it cooks. I think I'd use the peanut butter instead of the liver as well. Sounds like a great sub!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a goof hearty meal like this one. The flavors sound really fantastic, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never gotten to try this dish. Sounds tasty, and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Abby! The recipe sounds delicious. I'm busy telling everyone I'm collecting different cuisines so I can make and enjoy them. I've been in a rut. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo.. a stew sounds so delicious right now! It's raining and dreary outside here, and this would warm us right up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love great slow cooker recipes! It makes your house smell amazing as they cook. So many great veggies and seasonings in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite part of many Filipino foods is the unique Spanish-Asian fusion! This stew is full of that wonderful international flair! I am always on the lookout for new and different crock pot recipes like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - that's what makes our Asian food unique in that sense as it's a Euro-Asian fusion. Thanks and hope you enjoy this!

      Delete
  14. Never used slow cooker, this must have been really good being cooked in that. The dish sounds very flavoursome with all those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow cooker is a must for me so I highly suggest you get one aas it's so handy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Super! This dish looks extremely hearty and filling. I love a good robust stew like this to keep me warm and full during the colder months. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at peanut butter! This stew looks hearty, delicious and comforting! Something I want to curl up on the couch with during this snowstorm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, it's great comfort food for winter! Thanks!

      Delete
  17. I wish this was in my slow cooker for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my moms friends from the Philippines used to make something similar with Ox Tails. This looks so robust and hearty - and I love that it's made in a crock pot. I bet it smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that dish very well - it's called Kare-Kare and they are similar in the sense that they both have peanut butter! I hope to make that soon! Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete
  19. There's always something very homely + warm about slow cooker recipes and the beef kalderetang looks so good. All those spices + stock would definitely make this so tender and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Slow cooker recipes are such a blessing and they tend to alleviate the flavors of the dishes we make. Love the classic version of the recipe and loved the one with coconut milk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you add coconut milk to this recipe? Would it be good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I do have a version of caldereta with coconut milk - Kaldereta sa Gata - so if you type this - caldereta with coconut milk - it should appear so you can check out the recipe.

      Delete
  22. Hey making this recipe as I type this message, Kaldereta is my favorite yet never attempted to make it myself. My girlfriend is Filipino and making it to surprise her, hope it's good!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Slow cooker is a time saver especially if you are a busy mum. I used it for cooking food the requires longer time to cook like Chili con carne, Stews, Casserole, Soup & Even curries. ��

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig