Jul 14, 2014

Slow Cooker Three Berry Cobbler



With the abundant supply of fruits, particularly berries,  during summer I have been inspired to do fruit-based desserts. For me nothing describes summer more than fruit cobblers and crumbles. The lovely colors of reds and blues combined and the tartness they impart to an otherwise one-dimensional dessert make them my summer fave.

This cobbler is particularly lovely because you don't need to use the oven for it. It's cooked in the slow cooker which makes it so much easier; no need to preheat anything and most of all you don't need to sweat while doing it (no warm oven, right?). Also, it doesn't take that long to cook it, only about 2 hours or so which for slow cooking is rather fast!

This cobbler is great to eat on its own but if that's not enough, you may add your vanilla ice cream on top. We always do! Enjoy the rest of the summer with this yummy Three Berry Cobbler.

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt   
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
a pinch of ground cloves, optional
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons, half and half or milk
2 tablespoons, vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup each fresh or frozen berries  (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries)
3/4 cup water
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for topping, optional

Procedure
In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and ground cloves (if using).

 

Combine the eggs, milk and oil then stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread the batter evenly onto the bottom of a greased slow cooker.

 
    In a large saucepan, combine the berries, water, and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil.






Once it has boiled, remove from the heat and immediately, pour over batter. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out clean.  





Turn the slow cooker off. Uncover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!


If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.




Adapted from Taste of Home's - Black and Blue Cobbler. 
Share:

23 comments

  1. This sounds great! That is very cool that it is cooked in a slow cooker. I can't wait to give this a try...thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Hope you enjoy it. Let me know.

      Delete
  2. I know what my husband will be craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always crave for this! Thanks for dropping by Ella!

      Delete
  3. This looks so delicious and comforting. I need to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pinning this one for sure. Thank you for sharing this at A'lil Country Sugar's crock pot party. It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! Hope you like it when you get the chance to try it. Thanks for sharing it too!

      Delete
  5. How big is your slow cooker? My slow cooker is only about 2 1/2 quarts so I usually need to cut all the ingredients in half or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is 6 quarts so it's pretty big and though this recipe easily fills up the bottom of the crockpot there's still a lot of room on top. But with yours you probably need to reduce the amount in half I would imagine. Perhaps you need to try and see what happens.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like perfection! It will be a very long time until I'm willing to turn on the oven again... Thanks Abby! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicous!!! Berry cobbler is a family favorite and this looks so easy to make. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Esther! Hope you like it. :-)

      Delete
  8. This Cobbler looks GREAT. I am so glad you included a step by step recipe. I am so bad at making cobbler and need to be shown every step. Love cobbler recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy cobblers all year round and especially love the fresh berries. I can't wait to do it in a crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I don't have berry cobblers nearly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fantastic! Your berry cobbler sounds incredibly delicious, love the addition of ice cream on top, pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooo this looks TO good- Perfect for this upcoming Summer weather! Thanks so much for sharing, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fantastic!! And I love all the colours of the berries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE that this is made in the slow cooker! I love using my crockpot during the hot months to cut down on extra heat in the kitchen - I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot wait to try this, I have never made a cobbler in a slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig