Apr 4, 2017

Yummy Blueberry Clafoutis

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!  

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!

Last Saturday the ladies at our church met up to celebrate the birthday of one of our friends. It was a big milestone in her life and we all wanted it to be special. Our hostess organized not just an ordinary party but one which involved cooking demonstration - the food prepared during the demo was what we actually ate. I was assigned to make dessert and guess what I made? My favorite French dessert - Clafoutis.

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!

I made my Strawberry Pecan Clafoutis for the actual demo but prior to that I made this blueberry version as I haven't done one with blueberries yet and wanted to try how it would work. I am glad both turned out well. I can't even choose which one I prefer as they are both yummy!

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!

I guess, that's the main reason I love this dessert - you can use your favorite fruits or whatever may be in season and it's sure to be delicious! After all you can't go wrong with custard and fruit combo, right? The classic French version of course would be dark cherries and I cannot forget the delicious cherry clafoutis we had in Paris a few years ago. It was baked complete with stems and pits! Yes, it took a bit of effort to spit the cherry pits but the taste was fabulous. I guess, that's why they don't remove the pits - as these add a lot of flavor. I know as I have tried both pitted and unpitted cherries in a clafoutis.

At any rate, if you don't fancy that, then certainly make the clafoutis with blueberries as you surely won't be disappointed!!

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!


Print Friendly and PDF

Yummy Blueberry Clafoutis

Manila Spoon
Published: 04/04/2017

Yummy Blueberry Clafoutis

So easy -- simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert - Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 - 3 cups Blueberries
  • 3/4 cup all purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 4 Eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups Half and half or whole Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously butter a large (10-inch) pie plate. Use a lovely pie dish as this will serve as your serving plate, too. Place the blueberries at the bottom of the dish.
  2. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the milk and vanilla extract to the beaten eggs and whisk to blend. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients at once and quickly stir to avoid lumps.
  3. Pour the custard batter over the blueberries. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the batter has puffed up and the middle part springs back when lightly pressed. Oven heating and temperatures vary so adjust timing accordingly. Mine is firm and perfect at 45 minutes. I suggest serving it warm with a dollop of whipped cream or even some vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
Yield: 12 Servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 45 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: Blueberries, Clafoutis, French, Dessert, Summer, Berries
Share:

21 comments

  1. I love your recipe, ihave to look substitute for the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my...this looks delicious. I absolutely LOVE blueberries. It looks like a wonderful custard type cake....with so much blueberry goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the juiciness from blueberry would have given nice flavour to the clafoutis. custard with whole milk would have added lot of richness to the dish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made or tasted this French dessert. I'm sure any fruit would make it amazing. I like the combination of a pudding center and the fruit on top. Fruit desserts have always bee my favorite. I'll have to make this for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing and I love that you can customize with fruit you may have on hand. The recipe sounds really easy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I love how easy this dessert is to make! The blueberries look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that about desserts too that you can customize with whatever fruit you like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Clafoutis I actually make it with cherries but now I am inspired to make it like yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has got to be one of my favorite desserts when I want something simple. Your recipe sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely dessert. We can use any berries that is in season, though blueberries might be my first choice. The colors are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing !!I've been making this recipe off and on for a number of years. I have over the years used all kinds of fruits and mixtures, depending on what I have on hand. Lemon or orange zest kicks it up a notch as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been afraid of making clafoutis just because it sounds too exotic and complicated. Boy, was I ever wrong! I can't wait to try this! Have you made it with other berries as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have made clafoutis with both strawberries and cherries! It's so easy so I highly recommend making it especially with all the summer berries that would be available soon! Thanks!

      Delete
  13. I've never attempted to make clafoutis, that's definitely going to change! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried cheery clafoutis but not tried with any blueberries or strawberries. Your recipe sound easy together as blueberry lover this perfect summer dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Custard and fresh fruits are THE best. This blueberry clafoutis looks absolutely amazing. Blueberries are in season now, and I can't wait to try this. I think my kiddo will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never made this before, or I think even tasted it! But this looks so dense and fruity and delicious. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait for the summer berries to get here so I can try this. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so gorgeous and it would make a fabulous weekend brunch menu. I just love spring for all the fresh berries we are getting :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a bumper crop of blueberries this year so will be trying this tomorrow. I also want to try with peaches...is there anything I have to adapt in the recipe to use other fruits?
    thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None. Just follow the exact recipe and use your favorite fruit.Thanks!

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig