Oct 21, 2015

Dutch Apple Pie Bars

All the flavors of your favorite apple pie and the delicious Dutch-style crumb topping make these bar cookies exceptionally yummy! Easy to make as well - Dutch Apple Pie Bars!

Apple Pie....who can resist this delicious fall favorite? I surely can't! I definitely crave this delicious dessert especially in Autumn but sometimes I don't feel like going through the trouble of making a pastry dough from scratch or even using a store bought one. Thankfully, these delicious apple pie bars come to the rescue!



I love the combination of cinnamon and nutmeg so I used both to flavor the apples. Also, I love its buttery crumbly Dutch-style topping as it's so easy to make as well. Yup, even easier than rolling a pie dough! :) How convenient is that?


My little boy and hubby feasted on these scrumptious bars so I am glad I made 2 batches as I knew one just wouldn't be enough. I am grateful for this recipe which I found on our church cookbook from Holland, Michigan (definitely Dutch country!) and from now on this is how we will enjoy the fresh apples this fall season and beyond.


Doesn't that look good? It comes out moist and full of juicy apple deliciousness for sure! Hope you like it, too!


If you like what you see do subscribe to our posts via email. You can also like us in Facebook or  join us on Pinterest so you can get the latest recipes and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing! 

Dutch Apple Pie Bars






All the flavors of your favorite apple pie and the delicious Dutch-style crumb topping make these bar cookies exceptionally yummy! Easy to make as well!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1/3 cup Sugar (x2 divided)
  • 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
  • 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples (like Granny Smith)

  • For the Crumb Topping

  • 2/3 cup Flour
  • 1/3 cup Sugar
  • 1/4 cup Butter, room temperature

Instructions

  1. Butter a 9x9 square baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the 1 cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly with the use of 2 knives or a pastry blender. Press into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
  2. In a bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and the cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the apples to coat. Spoon over the baked layer.
  3. Mix the crumb toppings until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the apples are soft. Cool completely and cut into bars. Enjoy!
Yield: 16 Bars
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45-55 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 10-15 Minutes

This recipe was adapted from Cooking with Friends Cookbook by the ladies of the Harbor Church, Holland, MI.



Share:

24 comments

  1. These look fabulous! I make something similar myself, and they're so easy to customise with different fruits :) yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Becca and I will definitely try this with other fruits that may be in season! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Abby, I'd love to try these delicious bars! What a treat! We went apple picking a week ago and there are still enough apples left to try these bars. That crumb topping...yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie and hope you like it! I haven't done any apple picking this year....sigh.

      Delete
  3. I love making bars but I haven't tried making anything quite like this. I am always looking for apple season recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these look amazing. It's late, so I'm trying not to run to the kitchen right now to make them. Can you just bring several over? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see why you needed two batches!! I would have to keep one for myself :) Wish I had gone apple picking this year :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too Kacey, you can never have enough apples. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I can almost taste these through the screen! I bet these would be really good with pears too, but then I have a bit of a pear obsession at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that to be so. I think you can certainly use other fruits! Thanks Dannii!

      Delete
  7. I was dicing apples this week, too, to use in a savory dish with chicken--but your recipe looks like what I want now--super sweet and fall-y!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazingly good, I think I'd prefer them over a regular pie! I have three bags of apples sitting in the fridge waiting to be used so I'm making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like these apple bars as much as we do. Thanks Sara!

      Delete
  9. Omg…just one nibble please! These looks absolutely fantastic!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Abigail, these look delightful! I would love one this evening after dinner. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son adores apple anything, especially if it has a little crumble on top! This recipe has just been printed and saved for the day he comes home from college for Thanksgiving break!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look delicious, especially with that crumbly topping! I love apples!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked making these bars but it was a little too sweet for me. There's sugar in every layer. Next time I will cut back on the sugar in the crust and and crumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback Barbette and glad that you liked it. You can certainly cut back on the sugar if you wish. When you think about it, the entire sugar is only 1 cup which isn't much compared to other recipes but it may have felt much because it was divided into 3 parts but overall it's just 1 cup. It wasn't too sweet for me but everyone's taste is different of course. Thanks again!

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig