Feb 21, 2015

Chicken and Pork Adobo


To say that I love Adobo is an understatement! I live Adobo! The proof - this is my 4th version of this famous Philippine national dish and this may not be the last as I am always on the hunt for different versions of this Pinoy classic. This one is special though as this is my family's personal favorite.

It is somewhat similar to my Chinese version as the ingredients are basically the same except that this one is more truly Pinoy as it uses vinegar which is totally eliminated in the Chinese version. However, the technique is a little different. I discovered this version during my recent visit to Manila last December 2014. Our wonderful helper Flor made this for us and I at once fell in love with the recipe. Yes, that's true - I fell in love. So I begged our dear maid to please let me have her amazing recipe and the kind hearted soul that she is, she not only shared it with me, she demonstrated how she made it! Awesome!!! So, here's a true Pinoy adobo - kind of the dry adobo version that packs in a lot of flavor. If you wish to have more sauce, no problem - you can leave as much sauce in the dish as you want! Enjoy with loads of rice as you will definitely have more than one cup! :)

Chicken and Pork Adobo




By: 
This is my family's favorite version of this Filipino classic dish. It's so easy to make and very flavorful, too. Try it for yourself.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 6

Ingredients

Adobo Marinade

  • 6 cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 1/2 cup Soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon whole Peppercorns

  • Adobo Components

  • 1 lb pork belly (or pork cut that has some attached fat), cut-up
  • 1 lb chicken, cut into serving (bite-size) pieces
  • 2 Tablespoons Oil
  • 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 3 Laurel leaves
  • 1 cup Water, plus more if needed


  • Procedure

    Prepare the marinade. Place the chicken and pork pieces in a non-reactive bowl. Pour the marinade and ensure all the pieces are evenly coated. Leave to marinate for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.


    Heat the oil in a large pan. Saute the garlic and onion until aromatic. Add the chicken and pork pieces, its marinade and the bay leaves. Allow to boil briefly and then cover and cook in low heat until the marinade has almost evaporated.


    Pour in the water and then cover and simmer until the chicken and pork pieces are all tender. If the sauce begins to dry up before the meat is tender, add a little more water. You can let the dish dry up if you prefer a dryer adobo otherwise, retain some liquid. Some prefer to also fry the adobo which you may after it's cooked - just brown it quickly. This would add more flavor as well but it's already good as is so this is totally optional. Others prefer a sweeter adobo so you can add a little sugar towards the end and just let it dissolve into the liquid. Either way, it will be good! 

    As with any Adobo version, the flavor improves even more after a day or two, assuming there's any left-over on day one! Enjoy!



    If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy and convenient printing.

    If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!



    Share:

    25 comments

    1. Dear Abby, This sounds wonderful. That marinade sounds perfect to me. I would enjoy this very much. xo, Catherine

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This is our national dish and everyone's favorite in the Philippines. Hope you get to try it. Thanks, Catherine. :)

        Delete
    2. Looks really good and doable for this average kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, it's very easy Lacey! That's what I like about adobo. Hope you can try it. :)

        Delete
    3. I don't think I've ever had Adobe, it sounds wonderful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is our national dish and everyone has their own spin on this well-loved dish. Thanks Joy.

        Delete
    4. This looks like such a great dish for a big family gathering! My older kids are all coming home next week, and I am putting this on the menu asap!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Renee! I sure hope you family will love this as much as we do. :)

        Delete
    5. Never cooked with adobo marinade before, sounds delicious, will have to give it a try! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Josie, I hope you like it when you get the chance to try it. :)

        Delete
    6. I had a dear, sweet Filipino friend who shared her recipe for adobo with me. It is such a delicious dish. I am so glad that I saw your post, because it has been TOO long since I've had it!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. This is truly the no. 1 dish in our country and Filipinos are very proud of this. Thanks for stopping by Kristen. :)

        Delete
    7. Wow, this looks totally delicious! I have never had it but it looks like something both my husband and I would enjoy!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Can you make this with just chicken?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Certainly Sandy. I add pork because it adds extra flavor from the meat but an all chicken dish should be fine, too. :)

        Delete
    9. This looks absolutely delicious Abby! I'm printing this off and taking it home so we can try it this weekend. Love your site.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Hiya, new to cooking Filipino food, I was wondering - what can I substitute for 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar? Would regular white vinegar work?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's perfectly fine Novice. Thank you for asking!

        Delete
    11. This recipe looks delicious! I'm looking into making this for a party. Can this be made with boneless skinless thighs, and cubed pork butt? If so, how long do you cook this, and how long do you think you can you leave it on a steam table so it doesn't over cook and fall apart? I appreciate the recipe and help!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. After it has boiled, simmer on low and cook for about an hour or until tender to your liking.

        Delete
    12. I tried this last weekend and the title "ultimate adobo" is not an exaggeration at all. My search for the perfect adobo recipe is over! Thank you Manila Spoon ��

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much Andrea! This truly means a lot! Glad you enjoyed this!

        Delete
    13. A new family favourite! I've made adobo a couple of times before but only with chicken. I love the pork and chicken combo! I used this recipe a few days ago when we had guests over. I marinated it for about 3-4 hours before cooking. Once cooled, it went into the fridge for the next day. The day of serving, I skinned off the fat and reheated it, adding more liquids as per our personal preference. Served it with rice and a tomato/cucumber salad. Delicious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So glad to know this! Appreciate you giving us the feedback! Thanks.

        Delete

    © Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
    Blogger Template created by pipdig