May 23, 2013

Scrumptious Beef Skewers


Summer time grilling is now upon us!!! Yay! Having grown up in the Philippines, in a tiny island called Marinduque - you can imagine how much I love the sun and the warm sunny weather! :-) The funny thing is that I didn't even realize this truth until I lived here in the USA (Michigan) and in the UK previously.

We Filipinos take for granted sunny warm days - after all we have it practically 300 days out of 365 (and perhaps more!). But once you live abroad, especially in a place where you have the 4 seasons - you don't often see or feel the sun, sadly. Where I am - winter can last up to six months - yes, that long and while there may be sunny days in winter - they are few and far between. :-( In fairness though summer time is glorious in Michigan and, pretty much, you have the sun daily during the summer months! And that always bring a bright smile to my face, naturally. :-) And yes, when I am here I don't hide from the sun or take out my umbrella to avoid it - as we usually do in the Philippines. Armed with some sunscreen, I do bask in its glory!!!

Anyway, on the topic of grilling, I have long been wanting to make this beef skewers which I have tried and enjoyed in some Mediterranean restaurants in our area. I particularly love the Beef and Chicken Skewers from Parsley, a local restaurant in Grand Rapids. I always hoped I'd be able to replicate what they do or at least something close to it. So I finally made them. Even after the first try, I truly loved them and my husband did too - he had about 4! :-) They shrunk during my first attempt so they weren't terribly big so after that I made sure that they are a little longer so they don't become too short after grilling. The photo below shows the second trial, they look much better already. Nonetheless, shrunken or not these beef skewers are moist, tasty and delicious! Enjoy a few these this Memorial Day Weekend!
 


Ingredients

1 lb Fresh Ground Beef* (or Turkey)
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons, fresh Cilantro, chopped
3 Tablespoons, fresh Parsley, chopped 
1 Teaspoon, Chili Powder (mild or spicy)
1 Teaspoon, Ground Coriander
A little oil for brushing
Salt and Pepper, to taste (about 1 teaspoon for salt and 1/2 for ground pepper)

*If using beef, get the one with a little fat so the meat retains its tenderness and moistness while grilling. It won't dry up, if it has some fat.

Procedure 

If you are using wooden skewers, soak them first in water for about 30 minutes to prevent burning while grilling. I used the metallic ones.

Place the ground meat, onion, herbs, spices and seasoning in a large bowl and gently combine.  Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until everything is mixed and cohesive. You may have to do this in batches if you have a small processor.

Preheat a ridged grilled pan (or whichever grill you want to use) over medium to high heat. Brush the grills with a little oil.

Divide the mixture into 10-12 portions. Using wet hands, shape each meat mixture into sausage links around the skewer. The meat may shrink while grilling so adjust the length accordingly.  



Place the skewers on the grill, turning occasionally, for about 10-12 minutes or until nicely browned on all sides and fully cooked through. Serve with rice and some salad greens and cucumber yogurt sauce!  Enjoy! :-)

If you wish to print the recipe, there's a print-friendly icon below the post. Click on the "remove images" box for easy printing.

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates we'd love you to subscribe to our posts and join our site. Also, do like us in Facebook or join us on pinterest so you can get the latest updates and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!  


Share:

10 comments

  1. G'day! Simply delicious, TRUE!
    I'm hungry and could go for one of these now too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joanne. This has become a summer favorite.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. I tasty burger on a skewer. I never thought of that. I must give this a try.

    I live in sunny West Texas. I take for granted the sun and beautiful weather. 2 days of cloudy skies make me depressed! I'm rather spoiled. But it will be 97 here today. So I have to get ready - summer is here!

    I'd love it if you shared this at What'd You Do This Weekend? www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has become a summer favorite of ours. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I love these! What a great idea! I will surely add this to my own Grill list next time. True, a lot of Filipinos indeed are somewhat allergic to sun since it is so much often here. I hope they do realize that we should be thankful of what we have. Thanks again for this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Micole. I always enjoy reading your comments. :-)

      Delete
  4. Had these skewers for dinner tonight. My kids loved them. I laughed while reading your introduction because it looks like we traded places. I'm from Michigan and now I live in the sunny Philippines. No more five or six months of winter for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am terribly jealous! :-) Good for you Duane and so glad that your family enjoyed this recipe. We really love this, too. Thanks for the lovely feedback!

      Delete
  5. Abby, these look amazing!!! I am going to make them. Can I make them on a grill pan inside or can they only be made on an outdoor BBQ?

    have a great day! :)

    Sandi @ A New York Foodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi! I have always used our electric grill so am sure a grill pan would be just fine. I do hope you enjoy it and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig