May 18, 2012

Chicken, Cashew and Tarragon Stir-fry (with Bacon)

  
My mother-in-law passed on this recipe to us as my hubby loves this dish! So easy to make, quick and seriously delicious, too! Gluten-free and low-carb, too. Chicken, Cashew and Tarragon Stir-fry (with Bacon) | www.manilaspoon.com

When we visit my in-laws in England, my husband never fails to request his mom to cook this dish. He said that this is one of his favorite food. Having tasted it a few times, I do agree it's a wonderful dish - simple to prepare yet fabulously delicious. I particularly love the crunch that the cashews bring and the flavor that the tarragon imparts to the chicken.

I would have tried to cook this a long time ago if I had the recipe. I don't know why I haven't asked for it. Unfortunately, when my husband was craving this dish for dinner it was  a little too late to call England so I had to make this based on how my hubby remembers it was done.

When we were eating the dish, he suddenly remembered that he forgot to tell me an important ingredient of the dish ---- bacon! How can anyone forget bacon? It's a good thing that when  he mentioned that the chicken was stir-fried --- butter and garlic came to mind. So, it still came out good. The next time I made it for sure bacon was added. If you don't fancy bacon you can just leave it out. 

My mother-in-law passed on this recipe to us as my hubby loves this dish! So easy to make, quick and seriously delicious, too! Gluten-free and low-carb, too. Chicken, Cashew and Tarragon Stir-fry (with Bacon) | www.manilaspoon.com


Print Friendly and PDF

Ingredients

A little olive oil (1 tsp or if using a non-stick pan, a little spray on the pan will do)
3 tbsp butter or 3-4 bacon strips, chopped 
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 lb chicken breasts (2 large ones), chopped in bite-size pieces
Salt and pepper
4-6 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped (we love tarragon so we  use a lot of it but it has a strong aniseed-like flavor so adjust to taste!)
1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts (whole or in pieces)

Procedure

Melt the butter in a little oil in a large skillet or frying pan. If you prefer, use bacon instead. Cook the bacon until it turns brown and renders its fat. Sauté the garlic and let it sizzle for a few seconds (not more than a minute to prevent browning). Once the garlic has flavored the butter/bacon fat and oil, you may opt to remove it from the pan but if you love garlic, let it stay!

Raise the heat to medium high and then add the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper.  


Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes or until the chicken has changed its color and is starting to brown a little on its sides.



Stir in the cashew nuts and the tarragon leaves. Cook for another minute or just until chicken is tender.                                                                                       


Garnish with a little more tarragon on top. Serve immediately.


Have it with green veggies on the side. Broccoli perfectly pairs with it.

My mother-in-law passed on this recipe to us as my hubby loves this dish! So easy to make, quick and seriously delicious, too! Gluten-free and low-carb, too. Chicken, Cashew and Tarragon Stir-fry (with Bacon) | www.manilaspoon.com


My mother-in-law passed on this recipe to us as my hubby loves this dish! So easy to make, quick and seriously delicious, too! Gluten-free and low-carb, too. Chicken, Cashew and Tarragon Stir-fry (with Bacon) | www.manilaspoon.com


Share:

14 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes less is more especially in this dish. Thanks for dropping by Luke!

      Delete
  2. What a great recipe, and very delicious I would say! I am loving the combination and photos are very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! It is a family favorite! Hope you can try it some time. Appreciate you dropping by here!

      Delete
  3. I think it looks fabulous, can't wait to try! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nettie! I hope you like it. Such an easy dish to make but truly flavorful.

      Delete
  4. That looks AMAZING! I am so bookmarking this to make soon. Thanks so much for linking up to Simple Supper Tuedsay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! Hope you like it when you get the chance to make it. :-)

      Delete
  5. Tarragon is a very interesting and unique addition. I love that anise flavor, so bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jameson! The tarragon gives it a unique and delicious flavor. :)

      Delete
  6. This looks and sounds so delicious! Tarragon is such an under-appreciated herb, love that you included it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious. I love the tarragon added to a stir fry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would dried tarragon work as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you may need to add a lot Tututel to up the flavor. Season to taste. :)

      Delete

© Manila Spoon | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template created by pipdig